AJV69

Squeaky Front & Rear End & More

I restored my car about 2 yr ago and now have various squeaks with the car. During resto replaced upper and lower control arms, however no grease fittings in upper control arms. Did not change out Front springs, Rear springs were not changed and have a few of those pads missing. Some slight squeak coming from rear. Also changed out door window mechanism to 1970 style and getting a rattle from there. Car does not squeak on smooth roads only on rougher roads. I am thinking of changing out upper control arms for the Scott Drake grease fitting model and maybe front and rear springs. Comments please.

Rough roads ?  Don't come anywhere near San Diego.  Not only are the roads crap but gas is $4.45 a gallon.  Left alone these car will develop squeaks and other thump-bump noises.  I try to get after the noises as soon as I hear them.  Your upper arms may just want some spray lube ?  I installed zerk fittings in my upper control arms. You may be able to do the same ?  Check to see if there is a pre-drilled hole at each end. Lube the ball joints with grease.  In fact I would try the spray lube, not WD 40, on all the squeaks before replacing parts.  Anti rattle wrap or tubing for the door noises.  Will require removing the door panels. Brian

65 UCA b.JPG

Biggest contributor to squeaks in restos I have heard of are folks that put in poly bumpers instead of sticking with standard rubber.  Strut rods, sway braces, LCA tie rods and possibly spring perches.  I've also read stories of poly strut rod bushing causing failure in the strut rods down the road.  Main problem though is generally squeaky operation when suspension is moving a significant amount.  Did you use poly bushings?

On 10/14/2019 at 7:26 AM, JayEstes said:

Biggest contributor to squeaks in restos I have heard of are folks that put in poly bumpers instead of sticking with standard rubber.  Strut rods, sway braces, LCA tie rods and possibly spring perches.  I've also read stories of poly strut rod bushing causing failure in the strut rods down the road.  Main problem though is generally squeaky operation when suspension is moving a significant amount.  Did you use poly bushings?

No, I do not use the poly bushings. thanks for response.

On 10/10/2019 at 6:13 PM, Brian Conway said:

Rough roads ?  Don't come anywhere near San Diego.  Not only are the roads crap but gas is $4.45 a gallon.  Left alone these car will develop squeaks and other thump-bump noises.  I try to get after the noises as soon as I hear them.  Your upper arms may just want some spray lube ?  I installed zerk fittings in my upper control arms. You may be able to do the same ?  Check to see if there is a pre-drilled hole at each end. Lube the ball joints with grease.  In fact I would try the spray lube, not WD 40, on all the squeaks before replacing parts.  Anti rattle wrap or tubing for the door noises.  Will require removing the door panels. Brian

65 UCA b.JPG

The upper control arms I now have do not have provision for grease fittings, I just bought the Scott Drake upper control arms which have the grease fittings, going to piut these on and see what happens, Will have to go for another front end alignment....blah!