Sign in to follow this  
danno

Radiator material question

My  69 convertible  has a radiator issue, time for a new one.   It is a stock 302 with air.  It runs hot, I have been trying to find out why for years  ( that is a different subject).   I am looking at the stock 24 inch 3 row or a ALUMINUM "looks like stock" 24 inch  3 row.   So they are very similar, including price (both $299 @ CJ's). 

What are the pros and cons of standard stock copper/brass  or  aluminum.  Does aluminum offer better heat transfer and thermal conductivity?

I mentioned my car runs hot because if one has more cooling capability than the other, I want that one.  I was considering a 4 row, but one is not available that looks stock. They also cost considerably more.  If I fix the reason it runs hot, the 4 row should not be necessary.

the stock copper brass 3 rows that are being sold by mustang shops usually have tubes that are smaller than the original, so i wouldn't use them. the best aluminum rad that looks fairly similar to original is made by us radiator and can be bought thru cool craft in arizona.

i happen to have two copper brass 3 row rads with the big tubes if you are interested. one of them has a new high efficiency core.

I did extensive research since I have a 393 stroker with A/C, and I knew it would run hot.  I used DeWitt radiator, US made, they have a "direct fit" option, which is the exact height and width as the original. It is slightly thicker, and you need to use the 4 row upper and lower mounting brackets.  The number of rows can be confusing, as it depends on the diameter of the tubes inside the radiator.  https://www.dewitts.com/blogs/news/14141757-are-three-row-aluminum-radiators-better-than-two

My car is an automatic (C-6), but I went with the manual trans radiator as it has more cooling area than the auto trans one. I used a separate trans cooler.

I ran the engine on my test stand in 90 degree heat with dual Maradyne fans and my PWM fan controller and I was able to control the engine temperature in one degree implements.  So, plenty of capacity.   DeWitt also offers a "black ice" option that is a special coating they use to make the radiator look original. It does not impact the cooling. I waited until Summit ran a sale on the radiator, as it was pricey, but could not afford any cooling problems down the line.  Hope it helps.  DeWitt tech line is awesome, very helpful people.  https://www.dewitts.com/collections/mustang-radiators/products/1967-1970-mustang-aluminum-radiator-2?variant=21235677134930

Some pics below:

IMG_4095.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

7 hours ago, barnett468 said:

the stock copper brass 3 rows that are being sold by mustang shops usually have tubes that are smaller than the original, so i wouldn't use them. the best aluminum rad that looks fairly similar to original is made by us radiator and can be bought thru cool craft in arizona.

i happen to have two copper brass 3 row rads with the big tubes if you are interested. one of them has a new high efficiency core.

Yes, I might be interested in them.  I assume they are 24 inch wide, standard type?   What is the high efficiency core all about? 

1 hour ago, danno said:

Yes, I might be interested in them.  I assume they are 24 inch wide, standard type?   What is the high efficiency core all about? 

ok i will get photos. the high efficiency core has a few more tubes in it because they space them closer together than a stock rad so they cool better.

we had one of the biggest mustang shops on the west coast but my partner moved back east and closed it so i now have a 50 foot trailer full of mustang parts left over.

I looked at my rads today and I have two 24" wide non cross flows if you are interested in one.

1. Used original in mint condition 3 rows deep and 42 rows across = 126 rows.

2. Original tanks with new core 4 rows deep and 43 rows across = 129 rows. This is basically the same as the rad in the link below that costs $570.00 without shipping.

http://www.coolcraft.com/ford-mustang-1968-69-v8-289-302-351-radiator.html

45 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

I looked at my rads today and I have two 24" wide non cross flows if you are interested in one.

1. Used original in mint condition 3 rows deep and 42 rows across = 126 rows.

2. Original tanks with new core 4 rows deep and 43 rows across = 129 rows. This is basically the same as the rad in the link below that costs $570.00 without shipping.

http://www.coolcraft.com/ford-mustang-1968-69-v8-289-302-351-radiator.html

I was looking at those coolcraft and other 4 row models, and I see 2 issues.  First is I do not know if I can fit the extra 5/8 inch thickness it requires.  Second, is it worth the cost  ( as in do I really need it?)  I will need to look at my fan blade spacer and see if it can be cut by  that amount. 

How much do you want for them?    $300 is no problem, because that is what I would pay if I bought from CJ.  I am happy to pay a fair price.

Again the cj rad probably has small tubes and if it does it is not worth using so you can not compare prices to that rad. You need to co.pare them to us rads prices. I would sell the 3 row for 250.00 and the 4 row for 350.00. Coolcraft wants around 500.00 for a 4 row like mine.