stangs-R-me

1965-70 Mustang Fuel Filler Necks modified to ELIMINATE Splash-Out

Are you tired of dealing with the possibility of splash-out when filling your classic Mustang with fuel ??    I was certainly fed up with gas pump drama with my 1969 and searched the internet for solutions a few times over the years and basically found nothing.   

In the fear of splash-out onto my bumper, license plate, and the painted surfaces around & below the filler neck I would squat down with my ear near the pump nozzle and listen to the fuel going in.   Listening carefully, you can hear the sound change as the tank gets full and the goal was to release the lever in time to avoid splash-out.   This was always a nerve-wracking routine, especially if there were other noises (traffic, etc.) to distract concentration so I dreaded the experience at each fill up.   I've owned this car for 38 years and this problem has been a part of fueling since the late 80's when leaded gas disappeared.   The leaded nozzles were designed to shut-off in an open filler neck, so my guess is they were more sensitive than unleaded nozzles.   However a defective leaded nozzle could cause splash out too, so it was still a crap shoot even prior to unleaded gas becoming the only option.

Anyway, I finally found someone who installed an off-the-shelf "unleaded fuel insert" that was a viable solution (credit goes out to forum member Mach1 Driver).   His method however required major neck modification ... including cutting ... which was not appealing to me.   So I ordered a couple of the same inserts to play with hoping to come up with an easier solution.   After some brainstorming, I ended up adapting the insert to fit up the neck with minimal modification to the neck itself ... far simpler.  

I've now had it in my car for over a year and it is by far the most functional mod I've ever done.    Like a modern car I can now just put the nozzle in, set the nozzle flow on the 1st or middle notch, let go, stand back, and wait for the nozzle to shut-off on it's own like it is supposed to do ... with ZERO SPLASH-OUT.

To be able to finally fuel up my classic Mustang  without any drama and "hands-free" is pure satisfaction.

I then realized there are 9 different 1965 thru 1970 Mustang Fuel Filler Neck variations available, so I bought a sample of each and figured out how to adapt the insert to each one.   There are both painted/powder coated and zinc plated necks and both styles are available for all years but 1970 ... which so far I've only found painted/powder-coated versions.

I sell both complete new necks with the insert installed as well as insert kits with instructions for your own installation.   If you want to do your own install I strongly recommend using a new neck, and I show all the necks that I know work on page 2 of my Price Sheet (page 2 of Tool List has even more details).

See attached PDF files for all the details including pricing and contact info.

Fuel Filler Insert Instructions-R7.pdf

Fuel Filler Insert Tool List-R7.pdf Fuel Filler Insert Instructions-AD.pdf

Fuel-Filler-Neck&Insert-Kit-Price-List.pdf

Thanks to all you on this forum who bought insert kits from me in early 2018.  

I've since sold around a dozen complete necks to people who read the old thread and contacted me.  

Figured it was maybe time to actually "try" to sell these things, so I worked up a sales pitch and finally got around to posting it here as a brand new thread.

Thanks again,

Doug 

SOLD! Well, not yet.. .look for an email soon though! I'll definitely be contacting you for one. I just put the tank back in ran lines etc and was digging up the old threads on the modification. I'll gladly hand over some $$ to save me the labor on this one. 

Nice work! The last time I filled the tank some guy was chatting me up about the car....total splash out. embarrassing.  

FYI:

For those non-forum-members who find this thread, you will not be able to download the pdf's in the 1st post without becoming a member.

If you have a 69-70 Mustang or have a passion for these model years, by all means join this wonderful forum full of 69-70 owners & enthusiasts that are very knowledgeable and helpful.   if you have no real interest in the 69-70 model years you can instead send me an email at stangs.r.me@gmail.com and I will reply with the docs attached.

Thanks,

Doug

Sold my remaining '67-68 and 1969 Painted Necks that were clearance so I removed them from the price list in the original post.  

I also added a note that if you have a 1969 with a 22 Gallon tank (either stock 1970 or an EFI Conversion Tank) you need to use the 1970 Neck.

Also, any of you that bought insert kits from me back in March-April 2018 (17 people / 21 inserts total) and the neck you planned to install it in is either a stock style '65-66 Neck, '65-66 or  '67-68 Conversion necks (that I realized later needed to be crimped down smaller due to different tubing used on these necks), I will do an EVEN EXCHANGE for the correct insert for your application.   Just ship it back to me pre-paid and I'll ship the one you need back pre-paid. 

Doug

USPS had a postage increase so I had to update my price list.   

Also, the darn '65-66 & '67-68 conversion necks keep getting more expensive (guessing not high demand & only one mfr.) so these prices have been adjusted too.

I've also reintroduced the Painted '65-66 Neck as I've found a source for these that is quite a bit less than Summit.   There can also be a gas cap clocking issue with the Scott Drake Zinc '65-66 Plated neck where the stop may need to be trimmed back a bit and this is not an issue with this painted neck.   Interestingly, the '67-68 & '69 Scott Drake Zinc Plated necks don't have this issue, only the '65-66.

Doug 

All the reproduction Zinc Plated Necks come without the factory "vent dent" in the face that allows your gas tank to breathe with a non-vented gas cap (which all O.E.'65-70 Mustang Caps were).   All the reproduction Painted / Powder Coated necks come with this dent as do the '65-66 & '67-68 Conversion Necks, it is just the '65-69 Scott Drake and CJPP Zinc Plated Necks that come without.   Anyway, I started adding this dent on all these necks a while ago, and finally finished a write up on the subject.   See attached PDF.

Doug

ADDING VENT DENT.pdf

I've recently been informed of a gas cap clocking issue with the '65-66 Scott Drake Zinc Plated neck.   The issue being the gas cap will not turn far enough for the artwork to be level.

Interestingly, I was also informed that the Painted version of this neck (made by a different mfr.) available from various suppliers does not have this issue.   I had originally bought 1 of these painted necks from Summit as it was a cheaper than the Zinc Plated one.   Not liking the looks of the blistered paint around the stake marks (even after touching up), I felt the added cost of the Zinc Plated one was worth it so it was "1 & done" for the painted version.   

After discovering the issue, I started stocking the painted version again and even found a supplier selling the Goodmark version for less than Summit.   Well this vendor must have had them on "clearance", as they no longer list it.   

Having 4 of the Scott Drake Zinc Plated ones in my inventory, I figured I needed to do something so I bought a Scott Drake 1965 Mustang gas cap to confirm that there was no clocking issue if the proper gas cap was used ... WRONG ... even the Scott Drake cap on the Scott Drake neck has the problem !!

So, I put a cut-off wheel on my Dremel and cut back the stops and eliminated the CLOCKING ISSUE.   Took maybe 10 minutes.   

All my '65-66 Scott Drake necks are now fixed and this mod will be done to all of them from here on out.

See attached pdf for instructions and pictures.

Doug

FIXING THE CLOCKING ISSUE.pdf

On 9/30/2019 at 5:40 PM, stangs-R-me said:

Are you tired of dealing with the possibility of splash-out when filling your classic Mustang with fuel ??    I was certainly fed up with gas pump drama with my 1969 and searched the internet for solutions a few times over the years and basically found nothing.   

In the fear of splash-out onto my bumper, license plate, and the painted surfaces around & below the filler neck I would squat down with my ear near the pump nozzle and listen to the fuel going in.   Listening carefully, you can hear the sound change as the tank gets full and the goal was to release the lever in time to avoid splash-out.   This was always a nerve-wracking routine, especially if there were other noises (traffic, etc.) to distract concentration so I dreaded the experience at each fill up.   I've owned this car for 38 years and this problem has been a part of fueling since the late 80's when leaded gas disappeared.   The leaded nozzles were designed to shut-off in an open filler neck, so my guess is they were more sensitive than unleaded nozzles.   However a defective leaded nozzle could cause splash out too, so it was still a crap shoot even prior to unleaded gas becoming the only option.

Anyway, I finally found someone who installed an off-the-shelf "unleaded fuel insert" that was a viable solution (credit goes out to forum member Mach1 Driver).   His method however required major neck modification ... including cutting ... which was not appealing to me.   So I ordered a couple of the same inserts to play with hoping to come up with an easier solution.   After some brainstorming, I ended up adapting the insert to fit up the neck with minimal modification to the neck itself ... far simpler.  

I've now had it in my car for over a year and it is by far the most functional mod I've ever done.    Like a modern car I can now just put the nozzle in, set the nozzle flow on the 1st or middle notch, let go, stand back, and wait for the nozzle to shut-off on it's own like it is supposed to do ... with ZERO SPLASH-OUT.

To be able to finally fuel up my classic Mustang  without any drama and "hands-free" is pure satisfaction.

I then realized there are 9 different 1965 thru 1970 Mustang Fuel Filler Neck variations available, so I bought a sample of each and figured out how to adapt the insert to each one.   There are both painted/powder coated and zinc plated necks and both styles are available for all years but 1970 ... which so far I've only found painted/powder-coated versions.

I sell both complete new necks with the insert installed as well as insert kits with instructions for your own installation.   If you want to do your own install I strongly recommend using a new neck, and I show all the necks that I know work on page 2 of my Price Sheet (page 2 of Tool List has even more details).

See attached PDF files for all the details including pricing and contact info.

Fuel Filler Insert Tool List-R5.pdfUnavailable Fuel Filler Insert Instructions-R7.pdfUnavailable

Fuel Filler Neck & Insert Kit Price list.pdfUnavailable

Great news for all of you 1967-68 owners that want to run the shorter 20 GALLON 1969 tank instead of the taller 22-Gallon 1970 tank.

I now have confirmation and PICTURES showing that the '67-68 22-Gal Conversion Neck fits without modification with the 20 Gallon tank when using the Daniel Carpenter 4-3/4" long hose & clamps # C8ZA-9047 & C5ZZ-9040 (9047-3A & 9047-1AK from NPD). This particular hose is super pliable and has a fiber braid inside it. Hose could maybe be shortened an inch or so, but it was installed uncut/full length in the pics.

Pictures ...

67-68Conv-Neck&20G-1.jpg

67-68Conv-Neck&20G-2.jpg

67-68Conv-Neck&20G-3.jpg

67-68Conv-Neck&20G-4.jpg

Been a while since I visited & updated the Price List.

If you need a new Filler Neck to Tail Light Panel Cork Gasket, Neck to Tank Hose, and/or the Hose Clamps I now stock these parts too:
$3.50 ... C5ZZ-9076, Cork Gasket (Scott Drake or Daniel Carpenter)
$11.00 ... C8ZA-9047, Hose (Daniel Carpenter)
$12.50 ... C5ZZ-9040, Pair of Clamps (Daniel Carpenter)

Have all neck variations in stock and ready to ship.

Doug