ralt962

Oil Pump Drive shaft out of postion

Didnt know this was even possible.  

The car had been running most of the summer.  I had to replace the cam (different story).  On reassemble I ran the oil pump with a drive shaft and drill.  

I was trying to drop the distributor in and It looked like I was getting close.  I used the external shaft to rotate the oil pump a bit to help with alignment.  On the next attempt I could get the distributor to drop down at all.   I looked in and notice the drive shaft for the pump is now biased to one side and appears jammed in.  Could the shaft have pulled partially out of the pump? Anyone have this experience?  I cant seem to move it now.  Any suggestions on how to get it back in?  (other than take the pan off and drop the pump).  I have the feeling this is coming.

Try your priming shaft again to make sure the shaft is still in the pump . Does the shaft have the clip to keep if from lifting ? It is somtimes hard to get a ford distributor to drop right in ,it has to mesh with the cam gear and the oil pump shaft at the same time ,set top dead center ,align the distributor where the rotor points in the right direction and gently bump the starter while pushing down on the distributor and it should drop right in 

When I have a problem getting the distributor to drop in I typically have someone crank the engine while I push down with light force on the distributor.

You should recheck the timing after you do this.

It should only require a slight rotation of the crankshaft to help it drop in.

If you rotate the crankshaft more than one revolution, it is not likely to help.

I think what causes this is as you pull the distributor the gear rotates slightly and so will the shaft. However the shaft may move back due to residual pressure in the pump. Now the shaft is no longer rotated correctly with reference to the gear. An easy way to see if this is the issue is to try puting the distributor and rotate the shaft in different positions. If you get it to drop in at another position. Then I suggest you try what I mentioned above. I have had this happen to multiple Ford products- SB and FE.

Edited by dcm0123

The top of the oil pump drive has a chamfer on it, the bottom of the distributor shaft has a chamfer on the inside edge. Unless the oil pump drive is wedged to one side and cannot move, the distributor will drop into place.  It sometimes takes some work when installing the distributor to get both the distributor and cam gears meshed, and the distributor shaft onto the oil pump drive.

Your not doing something odd like trying to install a 302 distributor into a 351W?  Because that wouldn't work.

I pulled the pan off.  The shaft was not in the pump drive but wedged outside.  It didnt have the keeper on it to prevent this.  Unfortunately a lot more work to this job.  

I'm picking up a new shaft this morning from NPD that has the keeper on it.  

It just have pulled up and out of the pump drive when I used the primer shaft to turn it a little for distributor alignment.  

I saw a You Tube video on a guy who made a tool that can go down and grab the shaft to lift it out or realign it.  Mine was so jammed in that I couldnt get a grip on it it to pull it out.  

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thanks,  I did both.  1 piece gasket and high volume pump.  Important part was the new shaft with the keeper on it.  So if I pull the distributor it wont pull the driveshaft out again.  

It worked well.  Did the engine break in for a new cam.  30 min at 2K plus.  

Any suggestions on how long to keep the break in oil in there?