2poniesngarage

Back up lights question

Back up lights not working. No power to the bulb. Assuming backup light/neutral switch located in the automatic shifter housing  is bad. Got one coming. Question is if I have power to all of the other lights and car starts do I have power to the B/U lights also? Researching this I have run into a couple of things saying there is a inline fuse that supplies power to those lights only. The diagram shows it. Any ideas where it is?                    I have power to the switch top wire I can see is powered. Second wire down doesnt get powered when in reverse. Is this the wire that feeds the lights power? Fuse is good. I jumped power to the second wire and nothing. Any ideas? When the part gets here I'll tear everything apart and see what is happening but was gathering as much information as possible since tearing the shifter console back seat custom trunk enclosure etc etc etc is a pain. And if there is a fuse that would save a lot of time.

Screenshot_20190926-183654_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190926-182902_Chrome.jpg

Well, that diagram is wrong, as the 20 amp fuse isn't hot at all times (only when key is in ACC or RUN).  It is located on the top left of the fuse box, and powers the radio, part of the wiper assembly, and backup lights.  Your top picture of a fuse box is incorrect for 59.70's, but is correct for 65-68's.  There is a plug past the firewall grommet that is a four pin square affair: two wires are red/blue (for the neutral safety switch), and two wires are black/red (backup lights).  These wires go down to the NSS/BU switch, which must be adjusted correctly for both cranking the engine and for backup lamps. 

Being hot by an inline fuse is what I have a problem with also. I do not know of any except for the radio aux equipment I have. I believe the lights should be powered only by the switch, and the switch gets power from the top fuse as in the image. Simple as I can say it.

Ok, scooby mystery solved. The 5th wire in my loom was for the shifter light to be on when the lights are on. Someone along the line wired mine into the Nss/BU switch, guessing the connector went bad. So mine was piggy backed on the switch. What I did discover and this may be of some help to somebody else. Is that along side the 4 wire prong is the 5th wire(shifter bulb wire)20190928_102034.thumb.jpg.da915e8f9d3cbc241f9b1362bc81376a.jpgand under the hood it has a connector that is big enough to look like an inline fuse but is simply a connector. 20190928_103257.thumb.jpg.9f5fb8d881a4f2c79d8a5206ae84c65e.jpgUnder the hood it appears to be a green wire connected to a black wire going to the shifter. Wiring diagrams are hard to find and follow (or they where for me) so I made my own so it made since to me. Maybe it will help someone else.20190928_110304.thumb.jpg.9dbf1ecbb10a9aa44a2b59cd826d5f9b.jpg so this shows when the wires are hot. It's a napkin diagram so pls just take it for what it is 

20190928_102711.jpg

Good troubleshooting!   The single connector was used for the automatic transmission cars, that is run with the wiring for the neutral safety switch and backup lights.  Should be red/black wire.  See wiring diagrams below, that might help

70MUST2.jpg

2007-01-19_231053_70MUST.gif