Shep69

Speedo Noise

I was out for a drive today and I noticed a noise coming from the dash area. Its quite noticeable  around 40-50 mph. Im guessing its the noise from the speedo or cable as nothing else moves behind the dash.

Anyone had this happen. Im hoping its just the cable and not the speedo.

Might want to check to see it the cable is all the way in or partially out ? Pictured is the set up for a speedo reducer (drag pack).  The white end 347370846_69Speedo-cable4.JPG.89e21d6c07ed8527efa7a14ca1ac6712.JPGof the speedo cable goes into the dash speedometer. Same for all cars.  With enough practice it can actually be accessed from under the dash.  Give it a firm/gentle push and it just might snap into place.  Lucky you ?  Brian

Here's one method for lubing the cable.

Cover the drivers carpet with newspaper or something.

Remove the cable from the speedo. It is easier if the front seat is out. 

Grab the inner cable with pliers and pull moderately hard on it. If it does not come out you may need to pull the assembly out of the trans first so the cable is less bent.

Grease the entire cable with any type of grease. You can also try to squirt oil down into the housing for extra lubrication.

Reinstall the cable and pray the noise goes away.

When I worked at a Ford new car dealership back in the late 70's we would pull the inner cable out of the housing & lube it with wheel bearing grease, & I do not remember a time where it did not work to quite it down.

Ok so I went to get  under the dash and the first thing I noticed is that the clip that holds the cable onto the speedo has cracked and split apart. The cable obviously has come out slightly and making the noise. 

Can you buy the replacement plastic clips or do you have to purchase a new cable?

I have not looked closely at one in years but as I remember The clip is installed  score the cable ends are crimped on, no replacement. Depending on where the split is it is possible a zip tie or 2 may resolve your issue.

You will need a new cable to get that plastic retainer clip.  I purchased my speedo cable so long ago it was from a Ford dealer.  I don't know what the aftermarket offers these days.

If the speedo is working correctly, then the cable has not come out far enough to cause a noise issue.  Usually, when cables are causing noises, the speedo needle is also not steady?  At this point, regardless of what's causing the noise, speedo, or cable, a new cable should be installed.  What type of noise are you hearing? 

9 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

You will need a new cable to get that plastic retainer clip.  I purchased my speedo cable so long ago it was from a Ford dealer.  I don't know what the aftermarket offers these days.

If the speedo is working correctly, then the cable has not come out far enough to cause a noise issue.  Usually, when cables are causing noises, the speedo needle is also not steady?  At this point, regardless of what's causing the noise, speedo, or cable, a new cable should be installed.  What type of noise are you hearing? 

The speedo needle is steady. It’s making a weird flutter noise . I’m pulling the dash pad today so I will see how far it’s come out. 

After the dash pad, a few more screws and the instrument panel an be removed.  I was able to cut off the end of the inner cable of an old speedo cable, put in a drill, and operate the speedo on the bench.  Maybe you can rig up something in a drill and check the speedo on the bench.  That's how I found out the noise I had was coming from the speedo itself.  If yours seems okay on the bench, then replace the cable while the dash pad is off.

If yours is a factory air conditioned car, proceeding like you are by removing the dash pad is the only way to get to the speedo cable.

7 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

After the dash pad, a few more screws and the instrument panel an be removed.  I was able to cut off the end of the inner cable of an old speedo cable, put in a drill, and operate the speedo on the bench.  Maybe you can rig up something in a drill and check the speedo on the bench.  That's how I found out the noise I had was coming from the speedo itself.  If yours seems okay on the bench, then replace the cable while the dash pad is off.

If yours is a factory air conditioned car, proceeding like you are by removing the dash pad is the only way to get to the speedo cable.

Pulled the dash out and as expected the plastic clip is broken so will need to find a replacement cable. Yes its a  factory AC car so had to pull the instrument cluster out to gain access.

I will bench test it like you said when I get the new cable.  Who makes a decent cable?  Ive read  mixed reviews on the Scott Drake ones. 

16 hours ago, ralt962 said:

I have the bouncing speedo needle.  New cable.  Will greasing this settle it down?  Does not make noise but the need bounces a lot.

If the cable routing is correct, not kinked, or bent too much to make a turn, then I would remove the speedo and bench test it.  These are 50 year old mechanical parts.  They do wear out.

16 hours ago, Shep69 said:

Pulled the dash out and as expected the plastic clip is broken so will need to find a replacement cable. Yes its a  factory AC car so had to pull the instrument cluster out to gain access.

I will bench test it like you said when I get the new cable.  Who makes a decent cable?  Ive read  mixed reviews on the Scott Drake ones. 

I'd do like barnett468 mentioned and look for a used original speedo cable.  If you cannot find anything on eBay, my go to place for used original or NOS stuff like that is Perogie Enterprises.