newstang

Conv. top switch

In the top of the lower dash right above the radio there are two holes IIRC one is for the conv top switch & one was for the cruise control switch. Here is a pic showing two switches I have installed in the places I described.

100_1276.jpg

4 hours ago, danno said:

Yes, it is kind of a hidden location.  This is also where the fog lamp switch went.   With 2 holes, I don't know what they did if you had a convertible with cruise control and fog lamps?

personally, i think its a terrible location and may just mount a different switch in the console

First of all, the relay  is not needed if the switch is big enough to handle  a few amps. I have the factory switch in mine, and it has probably had the top go up and down 3000 times in the last 50 years and still works fine. So if a normal switch is used, a relay  is not necessary.

The switch you show looks fantastic.  If you do use it and the relay, the relay to do it is a very unique type. I would guess there are some that are made for this purpose.  It must be normally off, and a ON for the top to go up, and an ON with the polarity of the motor wires reversed for the top to go down. If it is made for something like this, you have selected well.  If it is not, then it will not at all work.  

1969 has TWO switch holes

1970 has only ONE centered switch hole

1969 options included Cruise, Power Top, and Rear Window De-Fog Blower (Hardtop only).

1970 options included Fog Lights (Mach 1 only), Power Top, and Rear Window De-Fog Blower (Hardtop only).

Pretty sure that is it.

Doug

3 hours ago, stangs-R-me said:

1969 has TWO switch holes

1970 has only ONE centered switch hole

1969 options included Cruise, Power Top, and Rear Window De-Fog Blower (Hardtop only).

1970 options included Fog Lights (Mach 1 only), Power Top, and Rear Window De-Fog Blower (Hardtop only).

Pretty sure that is it.

Doug

So the cruise was not an option in 1970? 

13 hours ago, danno said:

So the cruise was not an option in 1970? 

Cruise (or "Speed Control" as Ford called it) was available on '67 - '69 Mustangs, then dropped between 1970 and 1978, then re-introduced on the ' 79 Fox body Mustang. 

22 hours ago, danno said:

First of all, the relay  is not needed if the switch is big enough to handle  a few amps. I have the factory switch in mine, and it has probably had the top go up and down 3000 times in the last 50 years and still works fine. So if a normal switch is used, a relay  is not necessary.

The switch you show looks fantastic.  If you do use it and the relay, the relay to do it is a very unique type. I would guess there are some that are made for this purpose.  It must be normally off, and a ON for the top to go up, and an ON with the polarity of the motor wires reversed for the top to go down. If it is made for something like this, you have selected well.  If it is not, then it will not at all work.  

i could use a power window switch which will take the load, but i like that i can mount the higher amp solenoid somewhere and use low amp to trigger it.