Busch

69 Mach 1 speakers

I have a 69 Mach 1 that I’m planning on taking a 2000 mile trip with. The car currently has the original AM radio and a single speaker in the dash. I was thinking I will add door speakers like the original Mach 1’s with that option had. I was also planning on getting the radio upgraded with Aurora parts.

Anybody have suggestions for what speakers fit the doors and sound the best? Dash speaker suggestions welcome too

Spend more money than you first thought. Speakers make the sound and if you enjoy your tunes it's worth it.

My wife has a Kicker system in her daily and for me they need to be pumping to perform and lack bass and mid range. I went to buy a Rockfod Fosgate setup for my 70 but the shop steered me into Hertz Audio based on I wasn't after popping windows out of the car. Yet to instal tham but they reckon they do lots of systems with them.

12 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

I got replacements for my Mach. West Coast Classic Cougar sells two types- get the more expensive one. Their listing even says the other one is of lesser quality as I recall.

Is the 4x6 Kenwood the higher end one you are referring to?

2 hours ago, Busch said:

I’m looking for a dash speaker also.  My car is a non AC car. 

Here are a couple of options:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/custom-autosound-dash-speaker-dual-voice-coil-1967-1973/p/SPK37/

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ken-harrison-radio-speaker-in-dash-1967-1973/p/SPK05/

I have the second one and it's decent.  I've contemplated using the surround since it's a direct fit and replacing/upgrading the dual coil speakers with Infinity or?  Note that they are designed to work with newer radios with L & R speaker outputs. 

Yes, keep in mind that some speakers will get in the way of the window coming down.  The window mechanism hits the magnet on the back of the speaker.   You are probably ok with most mentioned, but be aware that it can be an issue.  I got mine installed and they sounded great.  I thought everything was perfect, and I tried to roll down my window.  I had to move mine from behind the metal door shell to have the rim of the speaker on the passenger's side of the door panel. 

2 hours ago, danno said:

Yes, keep in mind that some speakers will get in the way of the window coming down.  The window mechanism hits the magnet on the back of the speaker.   You are probably ok with most mentioned, but be aware that it can be an issue.  I got mine installed and they sounded great.  I thought everything was perfect, and I tried to roll down my window.  I had to move mine from behind the metal door shell to have the rim of the speaker on the passenger's side of the door panel. 

What brand of speakers were you using that had the fitment issues?

I do not know the brand or model on mine, there is nothing on them.  After you get the speaker hole  cut, roll down the window and measure the distance between the door skin and the window arm.  Then make sure you speaker is less.

I do know that ( the way it used to be)  better sound comes from speakers with bigger magnets. Bigger magnets mean they are longer in depth.  So if you use a speaker with shallow depth, you will not get as good of sound.  New speakers might play tricks with the old ways?

You need a speaker with just under 2" from the mount face to the back of the speaker (well in my car thats the case).

I'm putting mine in the original position just under the door trim in the steel part of the door (I don't have a Mach 1 so not a full door trim) and keeping the original speaker grilles.