Ridgeline

Wanting to change the interior

Good afternoon.  I just purchased my second 1969 Mustang.  This time I got the fastback that I always wanted.  The car is complete and everything is exactly the way that I would have built it myself, except the interior.  The interior seems to be all new Mach 1 style interior.  One thing that sticks out is the red stripe in the seat that doesn't match the car.  It just looks off to me.  Since my car is a full restomod mechanically, I would like to go restomod on the interior as well.  

I like the seats from TMI, Procar and Mustangs to Fear.  It seems you can get Katzkin leather with MTF which is a bonus.  I've also seen the TMI interiors at some shows and thought it was pretty good for the money.  

The problem that I am having is that I would really like to switch from an all black interior and go with something like a saddle color.  However, I have not seen anyone making aftermarket door panels with color options.  Anyone aware of something?  If I could do saddle dash, doors and seats and keep the rest black I think that would look good.  Has anyone used the factory black doors and gone with a different color seat.

At a minimum I would like to get rid of the woodgrain pieces in the interior.  Nothing against them, I just don't think they match the theme of the car.  Something sportier would do the trick.

I could go full custom on the interior, but I really don't want to be without the car for months at this point.  I want to drive it!!

I am attaching a few pics to give everyone an idea of what I have to start with.  Any ideas are appreciated.

180771_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

180771_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

67-69-MUSTANGS-043.jpg

67-69-MUSTANGS-050.jpg

67-69-MUSTANGS-051.jpg

67-69-MUSTANGS-026.jpg

67-69-MUSTANGS-029.jpg

67-69-MUSTANGS-061.jpg

Welcome, nice car.

As far as I know, 69 deluxe door panels are reproduced in black and white only. 70 panels and 69-70 dash pads are reproduced in black, white and ginger. If you want any other color, you have to buy the white and dye to your color. You can dye your console too to match.

I went with MTF as they sit lower than anything on the market. I'm 6'7" so I need all the head room I can get. Hydro-graphic your wood-grain interior pieces, mines in the process of being done. What color is your car, looks like Kandy Brandy Wine?

home 3.jpg

You can not "dye" vinyl. You can only spray it with "vinyl paint", which will quickly wear off in areas where you rub it, plus it can crack and lift etc. Works decent on a car one wants to sell quickly but it is not a great option on a "keeper".

It is possible to have the door panels recovered by a good upholster, but you may see flaws when this is done as well.

Beautiful car … I'd leave it alone too !!

2010-14 Mustangs with the SADDLE color interior just had the seats in SADDLE along with inserts in the door panels … everything else was BLACK (actually Dark Charcoal as Ford last used a true Black in 1999 or 2000).   Anyway, this was a decent look and I almost ordered it with my 2011 with Kona Blue exterior … in the end I wimped out and went with all black as most people I showed the two interiors picked black.   I was also worried about denim die transfer which is common on the lighter colors in these cars.

As Barnett stated, vinyl die is really just paint and it will rub off eventually in wear spots which will look worse than if you left it black.   Much better off leaving all your black plastic surfaces black.

Doug

So here is a custom ordered set of seats, console, and door panels from TMI. they were pretty good when ordering. I asked for everything they had in tan and they sent me a handful of samples. I ordered everything through an ebay company called retroresto. Great guy who has pretty good deals compared with going through tmi.

What pant code is that on your car? 

20190518_114643.jpg

20190518_114650.jpg

20190518_114618.jpg

7 hours ago, bryonbush said:

So here is a custom ordered set of seats, console, and door panels from TMI. they were pretty good when ordering. I asked for everything they had in tan and they sent me a handful of samples. I ordered everything through an ebay company called retroresto. Great guy who has pretty good deals compared with going through tmi.

Did you paint the dash or is it made in tan?

12 hours ago, bryonbush said:

20190518_114643.jpg

20190518_114650.jpg

20190518_114618.jpg

Paint on my car is House of Kolor Kandy Apple Red with Brandywine stripe.  

Are the door panels the same color as the seats on your car?  In a couple of pics they look slightly different but I was wondering if that was the lighting.  Is everything a custom color?

The seats, console, and door panels are all the same material from tmi. The dash pad, arm rest, and upper trim by the window was all done by the previous owner so not sure how exactly he did it. I'm going to contact tmi about getting some matching material for the back seat area by where the convertible top stuff goes down into as well as explore options for the arm rests.