Sign in to follow this  
Rcodenewf

70 convertible top motor rebuild kit

Make sure you define if it is the pump or the motor you need repaired.  Also verify it is not low on oil.  If it is low on oil or a line is plugged, it will appear as if the motor is bad.  I know of no easy way to check to see which is the problem... Motor, pump, lines, or cylinders.  If one side wants to go up and the other does not, then the motor and pump are probably ok.  If neither side will go up and you have plenty of oil in it, then maybe rebuild the pump and motor at the same time.   I probably need to do it on mine.  After 50 years it has finally slowing down too much.

Interesting comments. Just got back from watching racing in Brainerd. I have it apart..all looks good. A little dirty in the casing and one of the check balls is rusty. It was working though prior to me taking it apart.

Just wanting to clean and condition it prior to putting it back into the car.

....John

6 hours ago, Rcodenewf said:

Interesting comments. Just got back from watching racing in Brainerd. I have it apart..all looks good. A little dirty in the casing and one of the check balls is rusty. It was working though prior to me taking it apart.

....John

You were in my part of the world. Minnesota.  Brainerd is a fun city in the summer. It is always fun to get away, now get back to work. 

Now get back to work. 

Hello danno: Ha..yes i was down watching the races and had a great time . I had been there years and years ago but forgot how nice it was down there. People were very friendly...awesome facility.

Where is home for you?

..John

22 hours ago, Rcodenewf said:

....John

make sure that little spring steel piece isn't stuck that the ball bearings touch. if its stuck, will either only go up or down. Ask me how I know that, 1step forward, 3 steps back

On 9/2/2019 at 9:14 PM, Rcodenewf said:

Hello danno: Ha..yes i was down watching the races and had a great time . I had been there years and years ago but forgot how nice it was down there. People were very friendly...awesome facility.

Where is home for you?

..John

Minneapolis.  There are at least 4 of us on this forum from here, and there could be a hundred 69/70 Stangs in town.  There are a ton of collectors here, and they like them. It might also help that 25 years ago a local  Ford collector  had about 50 of them and sold them all, mostly to locals.