Topless69GT

Door alignment

I am finally getting around to all the little projects that drive me crazy on my car. One of those projects is the drivers door alignment. My car was a rust free CA car when I started so rear quarters etc have not been replaced. The panels fit fine when I took the car apart. I have everything lined up but cannot seem to get the drivers door to fit right. The rear edge of the door where it lines up with the rear quarter is the area of issue. At the top it is flush with the rear quarter but as you follow the door edge down towards the rocker panel it slowly is kicked out and is not flush. I cannot seem to get this corrected. It is not out much but drives me crazy. If I push in on it just a little bit it goes where I would like it to be. I attached pictures but not sure how good they are. Not sure what to do next. 25D3963A-F392-4205-9E76-389ECE5BE9E4.thumb.jpeg.8469ce7e7a2165b8baaac459e38be67b.jpeg558E7CC5-F36F-4EBA-9C61-11E9ED1456D0.thumb.jpeg.fd2d66a4d3a7116df1bb1086d33248f8.jpeg930E00BC-29B7-4081-9644-56ACD3E15CA9.thumb.jpeg.ead6e93eb586048ed01412becc58c239.jpeg

don't twist anything before you send a photo of the front fender to rocker and front fender to door alignment. your door did not twist out of shape all by itself while it was laying around off the car. A photo of the top of the fender where it meets the cowl panel may also be useful.

Is the front fender original with no repairs?

Did you install aftermarket door rubbers?

Is the door a little hard to latch when you close it now?

Really need to see the front  edge of the  door at the rocker. Most of the time everyone  tries to  line the  doors  up with the lock and striker  installed , and use the striker to  bring the  door  up or down.  This is the wrong  way, if adjusted  properly  it should  float dead on. You either don't have  the bottom  hinges  pulled  in far enough  or you have a thicker weatherstrip than before.

Is the door slightly hard to close from the new door rubber?

It looks like you could move both the lower front edge of the fender and the lower part of the quarter panel in maybe 1/16", but this obviously still wont fix tthe back completely, but the top of the door and fender may be in just a hair too far as well. I can't tell by the photo but in theory, there should be at least 3/16" gap between the top edge of the door and the pillar post, but if you already have at least 1/8" gap between the fender and the cowl panel, it is just about as far out from the body as it should be.

54 minutes ago, Topless69GT said:

Door is not hard to shut. I am going to work on it this weekend to see if I can get it to fit better. 

Ok, since it is not hard to shut, the door rubber "should" not be causing a problem, which just leaves adjusting the panes and as a very last resort, trying to twist the door.

Before twisting of any kind.  I think I would try adjusting the striker inward a little.  Maybe that will get it close enough.  Isn't the typical method, adjust the door to fit the quarter panel and rocker, then adjust the fender to fit the door?

I tried a little bit of all the suggestions and it fits much better. It was a bit of a pain but worth it.  I still have a little bit of tweaking to do on it to make it perfect. Thank you for all the suggestions. The photo makes it look like it is out a little bit at the bottom but it really is not. B7FAA4E5-5527-4521-A0C0-9098DC826642.thumb.jpeg.e360bec20fa0d765ff4288348b1aa025.jpeg

Adjusting  the striker will do absolutely nothing to  correct  his problem. The striker  should be  completely  removed  to see how the door is fitting.  All he has to do is twist the door and if the inner shell is moving  he could  have  an upper  spot  weld broken like  on Craig's car. 

Most are aware the striker will only control the inward and outward position of the rear edge of the door.  But there looks to be a slight twist in a finished painted door because the front fender and rocker alignment are fine.  Either that, or the front fender also needs more adjusting after the door is correct.  By adjusting the striker Topless69GT might be able to obtain a compromise that is acceptable.

These cars are 50 years old and panel gaps were not very good to begin with.  Sometimes you have to pick your battles instead of loosing more hair trying to make something better than it was when new. 

On 8/20/2019 at 10:10 PM, aslanefe said:

Open the door, hold the top aft with one hand and bottom aft with other hand and twist the door (bottom in, top out). That's how I lined up my original undamaged door which was exactly like yours.

My best friend has owned and operated a Body Shop since 1965 in the same location.  In the 40+ years I have known him, he has always twisted doors like you describe to get the correct alignment. It is an industry standard to adjust many different things. If you have 3 points which are correctly spaced and aligned but the 4th point is off, a simple twist can fix the problem and save many hours of labor trying to readjust hinges, etc...    I even seen on a episode of "How It's Made" where a factory worker performed the same technique to align a door on the assembly line. Many new cars have welded hinges and the bolted side typically does not have slotted holes these days. Sometimes a 'Twist' is necessary...   

6 hours ago, Topless69GT said:

The striker adjustment is what really made the biggest difference on the door alignment. 

Since the top rear corner of the door was already correct, by moving the striker in you are allowing the lower rear corner to close in further, but since the top rear was correct, you are still 'Springing' the door each time you close it. If you had twisted the door to correct the alignment, then the door would close in the proper position and would not have uneven pressure against the door seals.

I had a friend that worked the assembly line from 65 -70 he said your best tool was a 2 pound sledge hammer and a 2 x 4 block of wood . Hoods that were to flat and sat below the fenders got the 2 x 4 under the middle of the hood as you closed the hood to make the bow match the fender . Doors  that would not flush fit to the quarter were twisted ,some times by closing the door and pushing with the block of wood at the lowest corner . Some times a door post needed to be knocked in at the hinges because they would not adjust in far enough ,the block of wood came into play again with the 2 pound sledge ,this was all done while the new car was painted .

On 8/28/2019 at 9:30 AM, Topless69GT said:

The striker adjustment is what really made the biggest difference on the door alignment. 

Glad you were able to get it much closer using the various adjustments. As I mentioned, twisting is the LAST resort, not the first one.

21 hours ago, mwye0627 said:

Since the top rear corner of the door was already correct, by moving the striker in you are allowing the lower rear corner to close in further, but since the top rear was correct, you are still 'Springing' the door each time you close it.

Not necessarily.