Topless69GT

When you think you’re cool.

Cool is a matter of taste. The Shelby is certainly a more expensive and better performing car but I can't really say I appreciate the look all that much, particularly all those tail lights. Also the signature four head lights were replaced with only two. I'm not saying that the front sudo brake cooling ducts wouldn't have added functionality, but the actual duct to make them cool the brakes was an option and didn't come standard with the car. I got that tidbit from a GT500 owner.  I wonder how much lighter all the fiberglass actually made the car?

4 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

The Shelby is certainly a more expensive and better performing car but I can't really say I appreciate the look all that much, particularly all those tail lights. 

I have to agree. I guess Shelby (or Ford by 1969) felt the need to make cosmetic changes to draw attention to the performance changes hidden within. For me, an innocuous Cobra badge would have sufficed. Why mess with the iconic Mustang taillights of all things? I love and respect all things Shelby but a sleeper approach would have worked for me. FWIW, I like the '67-'68 a lot more than the '69-'70 (although I would gladly drive and enjoy any of them)

On 8/17/2019 at 9:53 PM, 69RavenConv said:

I have to agree. I guess Shelby (or Ford by 1969) felt the need to make cosmetic changes to draw attention to the performance changes hidden within. For me, an innocuous Cobra badge would have sufficed. Why mess with the iconic Mustang taillights of all things? I love and respect all things Shelby but a sleeper approach would have worked for me. FWIW, I like the '67-'68 a lot more than the '69-'70 (although I would gladly drive and enjoy any of them)

I agree too, one of the things that drew me to the '69 stang was that it was the closest looking stock mustang to the '67 Shelby I used to love as a kid. And now that my car has a custom Shelby trunk lid and end caps that retain the stock tail panel and lights I think it's just about spot on. Now if only I could get someone to make a '69 hood with '71 - '73 style Ram Air scoops I'd be in Mustang heaven.

Nope, that's a Shelby deMexico hood. I'm talking about the '71-'73 scoops.

They do, it's  Jim on here.

Can you elaborate? I did a really nice photo chop on here of what I'm talking about years ago but once I found the thread seems all the older pics uploaded to posts are now long gone. :( 

On 8/16/2019 at 3:14 PM, Topless69GT said:

I love driving down the road on a nice day. Top is down and the 69 is running good. That is the best feeling in the world until a cooler car comes up and passes you. 

76A6DAA9-EC19-4967-8C5D-E9655088D6BC.jpeg

Nice picture.  But, I wouldn't say the Shelby is a cooler car, just different.  As you can guess, I've never been awe-struck over Shelby Mustangs.  Why some think they are the best thing since sliced bread is beyond me.

On 9/18/2019 at 3:08 PM, Pakrat said:

I agree too, one of the things that drew me to the '69 stang was that it was the closest looking stock mustang to the '67 Shelby I used to love as a kid. And now that my car has a custom Shelby trunk lid and end caps that retain the stock tail panel and lights I think it's just about spot on. Now if only I could get someone to make a '69 hood with '71 - '73 style Ram Air scoops I'd be in Mustang heaven.

You mean like this? 

we have the same taste, I think this hood would look great on a 69. i have it all together, but not supported or finished. I ended up buying the MTF hood which is very nice, but Id like to get this finished off too.

IMG_1016.jpeg

I have a 69 hood ,and the 71-73 is on its way. I am going to peel the skin on the 69 and re place with the 71 -73 skin . The trick will be using the under pocket for the ram air in the 71 -73 under brace and welding it into the 69 under brace .i plan on smooting in the scoops ,then pull a mold 

9 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I have a 69 hood ,and the 71-73 is on its way. I am going to peel the skin on the 69 and re place with the 71 -73 skin . The trick will be using the under pocket for the ram air in the 71 -73 under brace and welding it into the 69 under brace .i plan on smooting in the scoops ,then pull a mold 

let me know how it goes. take pics so i can finish this one :-)

There will be a few things to consider ,like do the scoops clear the radiator and the radiator support ,where will the center of the ram air chamber locate over the carburator ,because the scoops may have to move forward or back to make the chamber hit right .

I plan to make a jig to fold over the edges of the 71-73 top skin so it will wrap over the under bracing . The back of the hood will be some what like a cowl hood ,once i get into it i will decide if this will be filled in or open . Going to need some measurements for the ram air chamber first of all for positioning .

I am thinking 70 Mack 1 hood pins should be perfect ,the hold down plates can be added to a 69 radiator support .the hood could be left blank and drilled if pins are wanted 

That's it exactly Newstang!!!!!! We do have the same taste.

Ridgerunner, looking forward to seeing your progress, I always assumed one day I would have to try to make a fiberglass one. If you decide to go into production or at least make more than one let me know, I'll be the first customer in line! :) I already cobbled up a custom ram air for mine and opened up the stock hood but this would be way cooler!

ram_air_006.jpg

8 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

I hate to cut this hood ,but someone already cut the pie out of the scoop area. Only has a couple of dings in the nose ,but the under brace is perfect and that is what i need ,and is Ford so that should help making the new hood 

20191001_103511.jpg

20191001_103524.jpg

If anyone could get this completed its you! 

The 71 -73 hood made it today ,this sucker is heavy . I have to get a few measurements on just exactly where the hood top and ram air chamber will have to be before i start cutting . I will start a thread when i am ready to go . Looks like just the outer edge of the under bracing will remain from the 69 under brace ,the rest will be replaced by the 71-73 air box from it under bracing 

20191011_131209.jpg

Just some quick measurements ,the 71 73 hood is 8 inches longer than the 69 ,and 2 inches wider in the rear on each side and 3 inches wider in the front on each side ,the 69 will set in the 71 73 hood so it will be fairly easy to cut the top skin and fold the edges over the 69 under brace . Now i still have to figure out where the center of the ram air chamber will locate and that will position the top skin . I am thinking about not cutting the opening in the fiberglass ram air chamber so it can be cut to where your motor will sit ,we know the 302 351 ,and 351 cleveland ,and 428 all set in different positions ,so with just a flat bottom it can be cut to fit what ever motor you are running and still line up .