Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Best rear end gear for c4

What would be the best gears to put in the rear end with a c4? I’m fixing to have my rear axle rebuilt and I’m going to change from an open diff to limited slip. Currently I have 2.79 gears in it but want to know if it would be better to change that or keep it. As for the driving type it will mainly be city and hwy. I don’t plan on taking this car to the track at all but it will be driven spiritedly. I would like good acceleration and performance like my 2019 has if possible. 

22 hours ago, Kris said:

That’s what I was think but wanted to know from people that have used that setup. Thanks

if you like to drive 70 mph on the freeway for more than 30  minutes and do not plan to drag race anyone, you are far better off with 3.25 or 3.43. 3.50 is going to cause your engine to rev high on the highway plus it will burn a lot more gas.

21 hours ago, Kris said:

I talked to a performance shop today and they recommended 3.0 gears due to the higher rpm’s at highway with 3.55’s.

you will barely notice any difference between 2.79 and 3.00 gears and it will still have lame acceleration.

what engine do you have and what mods have been done to it?

50 minutes ago, Kris said:

I have a 302 with a mild build on it. Victor intake and Holley 750 currently but will be going with a Holley efi unit. 

ok, then i would go with the 3.25 gears if you want a noticeable increase in acceleration but don't want to spin the engine fairly high on the freeway.