newstang

Automatic Convertible top question

Has anyone ever found a way to make the top semi-automatic? in other words is there a module that will allow for pressing a button then is senses and stops in either up or down? 

I ask because my skylight at home has a sensor that when it sees a load increase on electric, it stops. ( this would be a nice upgrade )

2 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

You can do it with an adjustable pressure switch that operates within the range of pressure that is in the hydraulic lines but no telling just how well it would work until you do it.

interesting, very simple, it should also go back to closed circuit as soon as pump stops and pressure drops.

I had thought of this on mine.  The pressure idea could work, but I was thinking of a timer.   Press the button to go up, and it turns on the pump to go up for  8.5 seconds.  Press the button to go down and it reverses the pump and runs for 6.3 seconds.   I know this will work, but it would mean designing the electrical timer and putting it together.

The other method is with limit switches.  When you press the button to go up, the pump runs until the top triggers a switch to tell the motor to shut off. This would require some method of attaching switches to detect when it is all the way up or down.

I also wanted to do this on my power windows.   Then connect it all to the trunk release button on  my remote control door unlock button.   I press the button on my remote control, and all 4 windows go down and the top goes down.   I will get to it in the next 30 years, when I have time. Dreaming takes little time; I can do that today.

12 minutes ago, Rsanter said:

Use a small,PLC, a relay controller, or a couple relays and a couple limit switches is all it would take.

you could even connect a remote control to it

bob

Ah Yes of course, i assume i would need to cross connect the anapanaforis with the panadoris in order to check for resephromity  :-)

You could put a micro-switch on the hydraulic cylinder set at the correct "up" and "down position".  All you need is a "seal in" relay, which keeps the circuit energized after you release the top button.  Then, the micro-switch "breaks" the seal-in circuit at the right location, and the motor stops.  The problem with this is that you need some kind of "emergency stop" to stop the top motion to avoid trapping fingers, hands, etc when the top is closing. 

For example, the emergency stop would be useful when you are closing the top and the girlfriend decides to stand on the passenger seat and dance to the "Humpty Hump"....

Not that this would ever happen or anything.

11 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

You could put a micro-switch on the hydraulic cylinder set at the correct "up" and "down position".  All you need is a "seal in" relay, which keeps the circuit energized after you release the top button.  Then, the micro-switch "breaks" the seal-in circuit at the right location, and the motor stops.  The problem with this is that you need some kind of "emergency stop" to stop the top motion to avoid trapping fingers, hands, etc when the top is closing. 

For example, the emergency stop would be useful when you are closing the top and the girlfriend decides to stand on the passenger seat and dance to the "Humpty Hump"....

Not that this would ever happen or anything.

all I would need now is a girlfriend. Hope my wife wont mind :-)