newstang

wiper motor question

The wiper shaft has a cam that opens the circuit when it gets to the home position. The dashboard switch is in parallel with the cam switch - if the dash switch is ON there is electricity flowing to the wiper motor all the time, but when it's off, electricity stops when the cam opens the switch in the cowl. It sounds like your cam mechanism or the associated contacts may be open all the time.

The wiper motor circuit is real science. If the motor runs, then stopping it in the correct place is a function of two switches- one in the dash mounted wiper switch, and the other in the motor. It could be a problem with the wiring too. To get it to stop quickly and in the correct place (they call it parking) they used a technique termed "dynamic braking". It relies on the fact that a DC permanent magnet motor can also become a generator if power is removed and the shaft is still turning. As a generator it produces a voltage opposite to that which would turn it in that direction- if it were a motor. So first they slow to motor to the slow speed, because its easier to stop when its going slower, and then they connect the ends of the motor's coil together. It tries to reverse itself and stops very quickly in the process. You can follow the process step by step here:

s9fUTU6.png

14 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

The wiper motor circuit is real science. If the motor runs, then stopping it in the correct place is a function of two switches- one in the dash mounted wiper switch, and the other in the motor. It could be a problem with the wiring too. To get it to stop quickly and in the correct place (they call it parking) they used a technique termed "dynamic braking". It relies on the fact that a DC permanent magnet motor can also become a generator if power is removed and the shaft is still turning. As a generator it produces a voltage opposite to that which would turn it in that direction- if it were a motor. So first they slow to motor to the slow speed, because its easier to stop when its going slower, and then they connect the ends of the motor's coil together. It tries to reverse itself and stops very quickly in the process. You can follow the process step by step here:

s9fUTU6.png

thanks!

I forgot to mention that this has the delay module and switch from a bronco. it all worked fine till a few months ago. I guess ill start with the process of elimination.

BY THE WAY,,,,, is it me or do all the windshield wipers sound like nails on a chalkboard?

3 minutes ago, newstang said:

I forgot to mention that this has the delay module and switch from a bronco. it all worked fine till a few months ago. I guess ill start with the process of elimination.

BY THE WAY,,,,, is it me or do all the windshield wipers sound like nails on a chalkboard?

Nails on a chalk board? I hadn't noticed that- don't forget to add water. My wire diagram says that intermittent wipers were an option in 69. The Windsheild Wiper Governor 17C476 (pause control) appears to be a separate box with a transistor, diode, cap, resistor network and a relay. The switch is different (17A553) with a variable resistor to set the time relay for the relay. The motor is electrically the same. Without converting it from a wire diagram to a schematic I can't be certain the park feature is exactly the same, but it looks like it might be. The switch seems to use the same plug.

2 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Nails on a chalk board? I hadn't noticed that- don't forget to add water. My wire diagram says that intermittent wipers were an option in 69. The Windsheild Wiper Governor 17C476 (pause control) appears to be a separate box with a transistor, diode, cap, resistor network and a relay. The switch is different (17A553) with a variable resistor to set the time relay for the relay. The motor is electrically the same. Without converting it from a wire diagram to a schematic I can't be certain the park feature is exactly the same, but it looks like it might be. The switch seems to use the same plug.

the blades themselves have always been loud as opposed to any other car I own, perhaps pressure or length?