nickjames138

Dakota Digital Install

8 hours ago, BlueCoupe said:

@nickjames138 which dash bezels did you use? They look like the deluxe ones but black instead of woodgrain? I really like the look.

I actually took it to an upholster shop and had him wrap it. It’s like a padded leather. Super soft and durable. Turned out much nicer than I thought. 

Digging up an old thread...

Its about time to replace the gauges in my car.  Every time I look at it, it seems something else breaks.  Mine's a non-tach car.  Transmission is a T-5, which I believe should be compatible with their electronic speed sending unit.  My distributor is HEI with a terminal marked "tach".

Did this thread ever arrive at a handy list of what wires plug in to which terminals on the dakota digital brain box?  And which terminals we don't use?  Spending that much for a dash, I would like to be able to get as much functionality out of it as possible, having it interface with as much of the factor stuff as I can.  For example, can this cluster be wired up such that the factory headlight switch you rotate to brighten and dim the gauges still works?

54 minutes ago, potato said:

Digging up an old thread...

Its about time to replace the gauges in my car.  Every time I look at it, it seems something else breaks.  Mine's a non-tach car.  Transmission is a T-5, which I believe should be compatible with their electronic speed sending unit.  My distributor is HEI with a terminal marked "tach".

Did this thread ever arrive at a handy list of what wires plug in to which terminals on the dakota digital brain box?  And which terminals we don't use?  Spending that much for a dash, I would like to be able to get as much functionality out of it as possible, having it interface with as much of the factor stuff as I can.  For example, can this cluster be wired up such that the factory headlight switch you rotate to brighten and dim the gauges still works?

C81417B6-D787-44FF-B509-9DB3884D858E.jpeg

ADA4026A-836B-4604-8F52-B90905E62503.jpeg

For example, can this cluster be wired up such that the factory headlight switch you rotate to brighten and dim the gauges still works?

Dakota has DIM GRD and DIM SIG inputs and they sell a 10k pot to dim the display. Keep in mind that the ash tray, heater, radio, and clock lights are still on the light switch dimmer, have a different power source and fuse, so the two circuits need to be separate. I've contemplated machining a shaft for the light switch to interface with the Dakota dimmer in some Rube Goldberg contraption. That would be a fun little project.