nickjames138

Dakota Digital Install

Mines not in the horseshoe...it’s next to it. I would have to remove my dash to access it, but that’s only a few screws. 

I’m pretty much done, but I can’t figure out the ADJ- and ADJ SND! I realized the blue w red stripe wire is for the headlights, but I have two blue/red wires going into my old pigtail that both a light up w my test light when I turn on the headlights. So I used one of them on the adj snd now it says use the black wire from the headlight switch for the adj- ......I can’t find that wire!

Great thread, fellas! Not there yet but will be going with the vintage air set up, AAW, and the Dakota Digital gauges. Looking forward to seeing progress photos of your setups.

Regarding Dakota Digital, I swear I read sometime back that they were going to produce gauges faces that are more vintage and closer to the look of our OEM gauges. Has anyone heard anything on this? I see nothing on their website.  

27 minutes ago, Machspeed said:

Regarding Dakota Digital, I swear I read sometime back that they were going to produce gauges faces that are more vintage and closer to the look of our OEM gauges. Has anyone heard anything on this? I see nothing on their website.  

Yes the line was to be called Retrotech and be out in Feb/Mar of 2019- or so they said in 2018. I asked about it earlier this year but they wouldn't comment at the time. Maybe if enough of us ask it may light a fire?

On 8/26/2019 at 7:30 PM, 69Stanger408 said:

Nickjames, not because of the vintage air evaporator, it was the Digital Dakota gauge module that was attached to the front of the evaporator. Mounting it there allows easy access but prevents the actual glove box liner to be attached.

So, I wired mine all up and it looks amazing! All the gauges work. I literally wired mine RIGHT where the old wires went into the circuit board plug was. So, the brain box sits right behind the gauges/dash. Works great, is easily accessible (just have to take off dash pad and gauge cluster) and I didn't have to butt connect a bunch of wires or find a bunch of matching color wires. 

waiting for someone to say "WOAH You can't do that! That will cause...." Lets hope not. Looks really awesome!  

Nick, I've yet to fire up the Holley, but when I did power up the Dakota (w/o Holley), I did not have lights for fuel or water temp, assume that is because the BIM will power that up? Also, did you tap the power and ground off the VHX module for the BIM?

haha Stangman I'll tear it all back apart and take pics JUST for you! I'm so bad at that! I just get excited and want to put it back together and enjoy, but I do want pics...standby. Just posted a video of it though. 

36 minutes ago, 69Stanger408 said:

Nick, I've yet to fire up the Holley, but when I did power up the Dakota (w/o Holley), I did not have lights for fuel or water temp, assume that is because the BIM will power that up? Also, did you tap the power and ground off the VHX module for the BIM?

So, the water pump will come from the BIM (I suggest reading the instructions/setup/calibration that comes with the BIM FIRST then do the rest of the setup from the DD instructions). I have the holley Sniper, so it doesn't show fuel. I think one of the others does. So, I had to find the fuel snd wire from my old loom and plug it into FUEL SND...refer back to MIDLIFE'S dash cluster pin out sheet. There are 2 one with tach and one w/o. From what I've been told you don't need to hook up the ground (mine is grounded to my tank) but if it still doesn't work I would try that too. I didn't tap the power and ground from the BIM...I used the power and ground from the old pin connector. I found an old wire that wasn't being used and it just happened to be constant power (LUCKY!) then I used ground from pin connector and ac power from an old oil pressure gauge ( I know it's not the healthiest, but it's a wire that wrapped around a fuse in my fuse box...I've never had a problem with it, so if it aint broke/dont fix it) Hope that helps. I'll shoot some pics as soon as I can (dealing with a sick kid today :-(

Pressing through, went through the instructions for activation however I don't get the BIM option to display when using the SW1 button. I get into set up mode, select TACH, select engine, and next set of pushes are supposed to show BUS...but no option for BUS?

Looks good.  What size are the gauges relative to the originals?  Diameter of speedo face new vs. old?

Inching closer.  Shopping an AAW harness at the moment but gauges won't be far behind.  Leaning pretty strongly towards the VHX in black and white like yours.

Hoping to drop a bunch of money here shortly and finish getting the big parts - composite leafs, wiring harness, gauges, headlight and tail light upgrades, hydraulic clutch system, mufflers, etc.  Been too long since I made any significant progress and the wife wants it driving by next October.

8 hours ago, stangman69 said:

Looks good.  What size are the gauges relative to the originals?  Diameter of speedo face new vs. old?

Inching closer.  Shopping an AAW harness at the moment but gauges won't be far behind.  Leaning pretty strongly towards the VHX in black and white like yours.

Hoping to drop a bunch of money here shortly and finish getting the big parts - composite leafs, wiring harness, gauges, headlight and tail light upgrades, hydraulic clutch system, mufflers, etc.  Been too long since I made any significant progress and the wife wants it driving by next October.

It's an exact replacement. It took me 5 mins to remove the old gauges and install the new ones. It's a direct fit. Comes with everything you need. I liked New Vintage gauges look, but everyone said they're cheap and they don't fit exactly into the old cluster housing. Dakota Digital was hands down the best recommendation. The lights are gorgeous on it too! VHX in multi-colored was considered, but lets be honest the white and red is the best looking and how long will I mess with all the lights until I get tired of switching it and just leave it white and red. 

19 minutes ago, nickjames138 said:

Yea thanks for telling me NOW! >:-/

Grabber70Mach told us they are due out later this year or early next year. That will be a year late. I thought they had shelved the project. The VHX was my next choice and is close to the original stock look.

5 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

I hope so- I've been getting stall tactics for over a year

Yes, very much looking forward to this. Check out the gauges for the 67-68 stangs....sweet!

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=1217/category_id=706/mode=prod/prd1217.htm