nickjames138

Dakota Digital Install

Hey Guys, I just got rid of the Fitech and replaced it with a Holley Sniper! Took me a few days to figure out the wiring, but it was fairly simple. Now I'm on to wiring the dakota digital. All I need to figure out is which wire goes where. I have to remove all the wires from the old pin connector that plugs into the circuit board then put the appropriate wires into the brain of the Dakota Digital. I've found schematics, but I'm so confused and want to do this right the first time. I just need to know which wire goes where. I also bought a BIM for my holley Sniper to daisy chain some of the info to my gauges. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! 

post-45476-0-07397300-1468971459.jpg.b78172dbd5791e9d0ccbedaf99721961.jpgprd_zm_730.jpg.7c3e767f44790d3c34895e310773e865.jpg

1 hour ago, nickjames138 said:

Wait mine is much different. 

What do you think? Are the colors matching the function or are the numbers on the plug matching the function? 

(Ie. My pin#2 is blue/red = LH Turn signal) 

or is blue/red Dash Lights as you indicated? 

I would connect a jumper wire to +12v and touch it to the wires in question- then see what lights up, or you could play it safe and use an ohmmeter to figure out the same thing. You would probably need a good wire diagram to check it with an ohmmeter, or you wouldn't know where exactly to probe.

Your dash cluster connector is for a tach dash cluster; what I provided earlier was for a non-tach dash cluster. Don't ever assume anything with Ford Mustangs!!!

Here's the pin-outs for the tach set-up:

image.png.4a9682388e0ef925cf54b16946c7c6f3.png

Pin 13 is your alternator indicator lamp comparative signal.

Oh man! I could drink Scotch every night! ...wait did you say "CASE"? 

Well, in that 'case' come wire it for me and you got yourself a deal! 

I'm still hung up on a few slots. I found out "idiot light" is the check engine...when I was learning to drive the shift light was the "dumby light" so I was confused. 

From the chart you sent me I'm not sure which wires go into these slots:

-HIGH

-DIM (Brake Lights)

-ACC POWER

-CONSTANT POWER

-WARN

The pins from the chart that I'm not understanding are:

- Pin 2 - Dash Lights                   (not sure if I need these)

- Pin 5 - Dash Lights 

- Pin 6 - CVR Power

- Pin 7 - Dual Brake Warning Switch

- Pin 12 - Dual Brake Warning Switch

- Pin 13 - Alt Lamp Comparative Signal (Not sure what that is?) 

I have no idea where to plug all of those into? This is my first heavy wiring job and I love learning, so MUCH APPRECIATED! 

IMG_4146.thumb.JPG.b40c7cc4e09fad5a39bc70479f7ef62b.JPG

So DIM (+) says that's for brake lights...I'm not sure where to pull those from 

AAW has a good decoder for this, using the plug on the circuit board side.  See pic below

The DIM is for dimming your dash lights when your headlights/parking lights come on.  I wired that to the headlight switch parking light/headlight power on.

IMG_5589a.jpg

Note the AAW kit does not work with factory tach dash without modifying the tach and some of the other gauges.

NIckjames - if you actually have a factory tach dash, I highly suggest not messing with it, they are rare and can be restored by someone who wants it.   

IMG_5591.jpg

Here is the tabulation of where my VHX dash module wires go to.  I have a 1970 convertible.     I arbitrarily numbered each connection on the VHX box, even the sensor and ethernet plugs.   if you see an "x" I did not use that function for my car.  If you see a "conn", that means that I made a connector to route the wire to/from the VHX box and the end point.   If you see "harness", that means the wiring was supplied by VHX.  Examples of this are the oil and water temperature sensors, and the speed sensor for the transmission.   I hope this helps

VHX Input Module Wiring.pdf

19 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

Here is my VHX box installed. I am using AAW wiring harness.  The box is mounted to my Vintage Air system.   

IMG_3367.jpg

@Vicfreg  Do you have any pictures of where the Vintage Air system comes through the firewall?  Debating on purchasing this system for my car.  Thanks.