sixt9stang

Looking at Distributors

Gathering parts for getting my engine up and running and looking for a new distributor.  Anyone have any experience with the Speedway Motors Ready to Run distributor?  It is on sale right now for $150.  It has the steel gear already so it should be good for the roller motor I am using.  Any opinions or other suggestions for a budget distributor that will be decent for the 302?

no such thing as a true "ready to run" distributor.

unless you have big hp and a bazillion volt system, a stock distributor wit a gear that is compatible for your cam will work just fine after the timing curve is set for your particular engine.

Guess I don't understand why it wouldn't be "ready to run".

The cheapest distributor that I found quickly searching Summit is the Pertronix. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d330710/year/1969/make/ford/model/mustang

I don't think I have the original any longer.  I think I have a furaspark ignition system laying around but that was off a 351 non roller.

23 minutes ago, sixt9stang said:

Guess I don't understand why it wouldn't be "ready to run".

Because the timing advance curve needs to be set for each particular engine. A rebuilt box stock distributor from the parts store or even a used one could be considered "ready to run" just like the $400.00 ones claim to be because your engine will run if you simply install them and set the initial timing, but they will likely not run nearly as well as they could.

I'll tell you what, I have a brand new polished billet aluminum distributor that is "ready to run" that I would probably sell for $160.00. I also have a polished aluminum water pump if you want one. We had the biggest Mustang shop on the West coast and I have a 53' trailer filled with new and used parts.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:53 PM, barnett468 said:

Because the timing advance curve needs to be set for each particular engine. A rebuilt box stock distributor from the parts store or even a used one could be considered "ready to run" just like the $400.00 ones claim to be because your engine will run if you simply install them and set the initial timing, but they will likely not run nearly as well as they could.

I'll tell you what, I have a brand new polished billet aluminum distributor that is "ready to run" that I would probably sell for $160.00. I also have a polished aluminum water pump if you want one. We had the biggest Mustang shop on the West coast and I have a 53' trailer filled with new and used parts.

barnett, would the distributor you have need an external box like the 6AL or anything extra?  I will definitely take you up on your offer if it doesn't need an extra box and also has a steel gear already.  Will think about the water pump also.

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, sixt9stang said:

barnett, would the distributor you have need an external box like the 6AL or anything extra?  I will definitely take you up on your offer if it doesn't need an extra box and also has a steel gear already.  Will think about the water pump also.

Thanks!

no it does not need an external box and it should have a steel gear. i will try to look at it today and get a photo.

Most are aware distributors advertised as Ready-To-Run mean they do not need any type of external ignition box or external ignition module.  It doesn't mean the timing curve is optimized for your motor.

An original distributor would be okay for a mild motor.  But, be cautious of a used or rebuilt original distributor.  The bushing and breaker plate usually wear out.  Bushings are replaced on rebuilt distributors but not breaker plates.  It's been a long time since I tinkered with stock ford points distributors, but I remember when the breaker plate wears, as the vacuum advance increases the timing, the dwell reduces.  I've seen breaker plates worn to the point that the dwell reduces so much the motor starts misfiring when the vacuum advance starts increasing the timing.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:03 AM, barnett468 said:

no it does not need an external box and it should have a steel gear. i will try to look at it today and get a photo.

Sorry I didn't keep in touch with you about this barnett. Busy with kids and stuff.  Anyways, if you still have the distributor available I would love to get it from you.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, sixt9stang said:

Sorry I didn't keep in touch with you about this barnett. Busy with kids and stuff.  Anyways, if you still have the distributor available I would love to get it from you.  Thanks.

ok, i will take a look for it in a day or so.

One other thing to consider is what kind of tachometer you will use.   Some of the plug and play HEI distributors use a multiple spark discharge technology and do not have a usable output to drive a vintage, or some modern tachometers.  Nor will they be compatible with some fuel injection systems.  If you are using EFI, you will need a square wave RPM reference signal from the distributor.  Same for using an old or aftermarket tachometer.   In my case, I made the decision to go to EFI long after I got my distributor.  So, I added a Pertronix Digital HP  box, and that solved the problem.  

Vicfreg,  Barnett468 knows a lot of the details. Sometimes more than we want to know (ha ha). He helped me set the timing curve on my distributor, you can probably read the chatter we had about it last summer.   So you should  feel confident about his knowledge.