Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

~1969 fan shroud clearance on 428

Curious what people get for clearances from clutch fan blades to fan shroud on a 428. I seem to only have about 1/4” between the blades and shroud at the 6 O’clock position. I have a 1” gap at the top. My concern is that when the blades flex under load, they may hit the shroud.

Dave

you may be able to lower the shroud some, and if your engine mounts are old they could be compressed and need replacing. aftermarket rads sometimes have the mounting holes and/or the lower hose fitting in a slightly different place than the original rad which can cause problems.

The lower mount rubber pad thickness is the same as the upper mounts.  What radiator are you using?  Some, like my Griffin has a slightly larger lower tank even though the design mimics the original.  So, I had to drop the lower saddle mounts as much as possible lowering the radiator a little, plus increase the mounting slot lengths on the shroud to lower it as much as possible.  But, first check the motor mounts like Barnett mentioned.  It might be worth replacing the motor mounts to be certain all is okay in that area.  

6 hours ago, Raven R code said:

Using the original radiator and the original pads.  Thought about using a dremel to cut in some vertical slots but want to make sure I’m overlooking something.

ok then if you have the original shroud and your lower pads are no more than around 5/16" thick, you need to look elsewhere for the problem.

have about the same clearance as you.  About 1/4-3/8" at the 6-7 position and about 1-1/4" at 12.  Using all stock stuff and a C8OE-B 18-1/4" clutch fan.  My C8ZZ-A shroud is as far left as it will go.  Has never been a problem.  Check your fan dimension.  Most BB OE  428 fans were/ 18-1/2".   Brian

69 Fan Clearence 2.JPG

Brian.....very interesting. Maybe it’s correct and I’m just over thinking it. It was getting to the point where I checking to see if I could somehow get the tail of the tranny lower on the cross member to make the whole motor tilt up in the front.

Dave

21 minutes ago, Raven R code said:

Brian.....very interesting. Maybe it’s correct and I’m just over thinking it. It was getting to the point where I checking to see if I could somehow get the tail of the tranny lower on the cross member to make the whole motor tilt up in the front.

Dave

No, it is not normal.