cobra445jet

Front suspension ideas...

Well you have two main choices, bolt in or weld in, it just depends whether you are willing to cut your car up or not. I don't like cutting up classic cars but it's your car so you can do whatever you want with it.

18 hours ago, JET 445 said:

Well you have two main choices, bolt in or weld in, it just depends whether you are willing to cut your car up or not. I don't like cutting up classic cars but it's your car so you can do whatever you want with it.

Not looking to cut up my front end. Just looking for some bolt in upper and lower arms. 

I went with a stock style with mild upgrades and could not be happier.  Talk to John at OpenTracker.

I did roller spring perches, roller idler arm, lowered upper control arms and put 620# springs in front and mid-eye leafs in rear.  It drives better than when it was new. I keep stock appearance, get better performance, and saved a lot of money.  I also did a CSRP Disc brake upgrade on my original spindles.

https://opentrackerracing.com/

http://www.discbrakeswap.com/

9 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Ride Tech  makes a  much more  affordable system compared to the others  mentioned. 

Here is their video- they use Delrin bushings. Its not SoT by a long shot, but I'm wondering how close the performance is? Has anyone tried this?

On 8/9/2019 at 7:57 PM, TexasEd said:

I went with a stock style with mild upgrades and could not be happier.  Talk to John at OpenTracker.

I did roller spring perches, roller idler arm, lowered upper control arms and put 620# springs in front and mid-eye leafs in rear.  It drives better than when it was new. I keep stock appearance, get better performance, and saved a lot of money.  I also did a CSRP Disc brake upgrade on my original spindles.

I recently seen John’s stuff at the NorCal Shelby track event. Check his site! 

I would recommend call all the different companies yourself.  I did that and ended up with Street or Track coil over set up.  Shaun was awesome to work with and is very knowledgeable about mustang suspension and can talk through many options that he can offer. I would also price the options yourself as I started looking at just upgraded stock parts and ended up going coil overs based on the pricing and what I wanted from my car. 

I have no regrets and 100% completely happy with my set up.  Car rides awesome and have no issues. 

Good luck, lots of options out there. 

Street or Track has a well engineered suspension solution for just about any reasonable budget or plan.  And Shaun is a class act all around.  Support before, during and after the sale is extremely valuable and he has genuine expertise and proven results to back it up.

Having never driven it, I put my 69 convert together with all "new" original style front suspension parts ( UCA, LCA, bushings ball joints)  Had poor handling, alignment, talked into bump steer correction kit, another alignment, two different shops.    

I'm disappointed with the ride on anything less than prefect road surfaces. Far too much wandering and correction on the secondary roads that offer the best fall viewing. 

I do all of my own wrench turning, but I'm ready to turn this over to a pro.  What am I missing?

How much would a roller perch eliminate wander from disparate road surfaces? How dose lowering UCA change handling?  And who can I get to drive this thing and diagnose the problem for me here in N.E. PA?

IMG_0853.JPG

On 8/9/2019 at 10:57 PM, TexasEd said:

I used all the same suspension stuff as TexasEd, & got them from John at Opentracker Racing. He was great to deal with. I also performed the Arning/Shelby UCA drop but have not driven the car yet to say how good it is. I also have the CSRP disc brake kit with the K/H style 65/66 mustang disc brake calipers.

100_1101.jpg

100_1086.jpg

I too went with a StreetOrTrack front setup.  Tubular control arms, coil-over shocks, strut rods.  I did the Shelby arm drop too.  I'm running a stock-style steering system with a Flaming River box, stock power steering and stock pump.  I might modify the stock PS setup with an adjustable valve to lessen the assist and may replace the pump with a serpentine style to fit the Foxbody bracket setup I'm wanting to run.  I'll second the commendations on Shaun's customer service.  Stock style larger sway bar, urethane bushings.

I'm running MustangSteve Cobra brackets on 70+ drum spindles and 94-04 stock Cobra calipers and rotors front and rear.  Rear brackets are from Currie and are "clockable" IIRC.  Manual disc/disc master cylinder that Shaun hooked me up with.  I might end up switching to a boosted master cylinder but want to try manual first.  Braided universal flex lines, new stainless prebent lines for the hardlines.

You were specifically asking about front suspension but for the rear I'll be running a Fays2 Watts link, shocks from Shaun to match the fronts and Flex-A-Form composite leafs with rubber eye bushings.

Goal is firm but not harsh.  If it's harsh, I'll get over it.  :-)

Someone mentioned John at Opentrackerracing.  John is good people too.  I've recently used his shock tower bracing kit and several other weld-on bracing pieces.  My frame guy hacked the install job so I have some cleanup welding to do to make it as pretty as I'd like but the parts themselves were great and service was good too.

I should hasten to add that I don't have any road time with my front setup so my arrangement is untested.  Given the positive feedback on the SoT parts I've heard, I'm fairly confident I'l like that I've got.

On 8/9/2019 at 5:46 PM, cobra445jet said:

Im not to crazy about drilling more holes in my shock towers thou. 

Drilling a couple of extra holes isn't going to affect the shock towers any, other than looks. But the Arning drop along with a proper alignment

https://dazecars.com/dazed/drop.html

is one of the best things you can do to you cars's handling. 

I had the pleasure of meeting John from Opentracker at the March Meet in Bakersfield this year. He's truly a good guy. Shaun at SoT is also, and easy to talk to and deal with. 

Stangman, boost the brakes. You wont regret it. Let me know when you get some drive time on your new suspension.

I built the car to drive not race. I refurbished the original 302 and other than EFI, headers, and duel exhaust, it is stock. I drive it to the golf course and cruse ins. I honestly just want to drive it and enjoy it.

My car requires too much steering effort on changing road surfaces. I have resisted power steering to this point, but I'm not totally against it.

The Opentracker street kit (front only $2500) is not unreasonable, if it is all it is hyped up to be. If this kit would make my car drive like a modern production vehicle, I would pull the trigger today. I don't trust the "testimonials" I read on any website. Who, like myself, had a car that disappointed but was 'transformed ' by this install?

This evening I replaced the 235/60/15 front tires on my car with the original 205/70/14  tires. I found the handling and driving characteristics much improved.

I am still weighing the suspension upgrade options. The UCA drop is a necessary step in any upgrade to the front suspension so I think I will start with that, along with the roller spring perch. I could do that on Saturday.