newstang

conv top front weatherstrip

does anyone have any close up pics of how this molding and retainer mount? this pic is too small and i dont see on the frame how it should screw in. it came with sheet metal screws but it would certainly go through.

d_1569.jpg

You are asking about the "outside moulding" not the "header seal retainer" on that diagram; right? My 70 front bow/header has holes with broken screws for the header seal retainer, but I do not remember holes on top for an outside moulding. The car did not have the top when I bought it, just the frame.

45 minutes ago, newstang said:

nevermind, i see that the top does have to be on first. 

Ok, if you are installing the top yourself you need to make certain that it is 100% perfect when it is closed before you trim the material in the front. The single biggest mistake that even "professional" installers make is that they make the top too tight so it does not close far enough on its own for the latches to be engaged without pulling down hard on the front of the top.

When this problem occurs, the installers simply say that the top will loosen up a little in a few weeks allowing it to close properly by itself which is a lie unless they installed it when it was 20 degrees below zero and summer is on its way, 

You also should use glue that may be hard to find and may not even be legally available in your state.

5 hours ago, barnett468 said:

Ok, if you are installing the top yourself you need to make certain that it is 100% perfect when it is closed before you trim the material in the front. The single biggest mistake that even "professional" installers make is that they make the top too tight so it does not close far enough on its own for the latches to be engaged without pulling down hard on the front of the top.

When this problem occurs, the installers simply say that the top will loosen up a little in a few weeks allowing it to close properly by itself which is a lie unless they installed it when it was 20 degrees below zero and summer is on its way, 

You also should use glue that may be hard to find and may not even be legally available in your state.

oh, its definitely going to the top guys, no way I'm doing it.

I just fount the holes the screws go in and 3 are broken off in there, they do not want to come out. 

I'm in CT. All toxins allowed here, ( except plastic bags as of last week ) were not Californians yet :-)