Topless69GT

351w and Edelbrock performer RPM kit

Is anyone running the Edelbrock Performer RPM top end kit on their 351w? This kit has the air gap intake manifold and I am wondering about hood clearance using stock air cleaner. If stock air cleaner does not work then what are you using. I am using stock style motor mounts. Also how does it perform?

I measured, then cut out a circle of plywood to simulate- about as far as you can go is a Edelbrock 7181 if you fit the stock blue bucket on the top. However, you could modify the air cleaner as Buckeye Demon did in his build: 69 Mach 408 Build. He trimmed down a shaker, but the concept is the same. See pages 2, 3, 38 and 44.

Going to use FiTech EFI on this build. The thing I like about the Edelbrock setup is they are designed to go together. I have not had great luck just picking cams, intakes and heads and hoping they work well together. I always ended up not liking certain items and ended up replacing one or the other and spending more money. Never tried the Edelbrock packages so I thought I would see how it goes. It does seem pricey to me. 

4 hours ago, BigDuke6 said:

I am running an air gap and had to use a drop base for the air filter.  It 'just' fits

What combination are you using?  Years ago I tried an RPM Air Gap with a 1-1/4" drop base 14" diameter x 3" tall filter assembly and it would not come close to fitting.  This was on my 1969 Mach 1 with a 351W, stock motor mounts,  and stock hood without a shaker.

5 hours ago, Topless69GT said:

Going to use FiTech EFI on this build. The thing I like about the Edelbrock setup is they are designed to go together. I have not had great luck just picking cams, intakes and heads and hoping they work well together. I always ended up not liking certain items and ended up replacing one or the other and spending more money. Never tried the Edelbrock packages so I thought I would see how it goes. It does seem pricey to me. 

Don't believe all of Edelbrocks marketing hype, you will be leaving a noticeable amount of overall performance on the table if you use an edelbrock cam. We can EASILY pick cams for you that will do what you want. Edelbrock also makes heads with 2 different intake valve sizes.

The fuel injection will likely limit the cams you can use as it may idle better with a cam with wider lsa's than what many performance cams have.

17 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

What combination are you using?  Years ago I tried an RPM Air Gap with a 1-1/4" drop base 14" diameter x 3" tall filter assembly and it would not come close to fitting.  This was on my 1969 Mach 1 with a 351W, stock motor mounts,  and stock hood without a shaker.

so I combed through my summit receipts and found that I got a K&N 66-3040 with a 1.250" drop base.  I am using TCP motor mounts, which are stock height.  I don't know why it works for me but not for you.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/knn-66-3040/overview/

I also remembered that I posted the same thing on stangnet 10 years ago.  see post #2

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/drop-base-air-cleaner.789841/#post-7955125

I have a 351w with air gap as well, but with the Ron Morris lowering engine mounts. Even with the mounts, I had to run a drop base filter to clear the hood. I think it's about 1.5" drop or so.