Caseyrhe

Brothers 69 Mach

4-5 hours later, a lot of cussing, mtr mounts pulled, clutch fork removed, dropped idler arm and presto....headers are in. Now to put all the removed stuff back on and install gaskets and bolts. 
My brother called earlier and ask why his were burning. 

D489B749-2772-4EA7-B8DE-9D1F6BBE22E9.jpeg

35B8C918-47B1-4EB2-9F74-11356AB7EB62.jpeg

Drivers side accomplished in 3.5 hours Tuesday night

Learned something very important today, for next time. On a FE with headers and manual transmission-

Install the Z-bar bracket on the block first. Good lord willing.....miraculously got both bolts started, now to tighten them with a short box end wrench with 2" of movement per repositioning.

Good news today, next project, 70 Coupe with Landau top, got painted today. They still need to install top/trim, front/rear glass, and headliner, should be coming home in 2-3 weeks.

Looking forward to dropping in the FE and installing the headers, just shoot me now

70 coupe a.jpg

70 coupe b.jpg

70 coupe c.jpg

70 Coupe.jpg

Well, today was the day. Rebuilt the carb, primed it, and good lord willing she fired right up. Idled her up to 2500, temp ran at 185, 70 psi on the oil pressure, all with no leaks. Purred like a kitten, ran smooth, and no misses or back firing

When idled her down to 800, started back firing thru the carb. Timing good, points, rotor, cap, and wires all new, but went ahead an replaced again anyway. No vac leaks. Tried adjusting timing +/- and still backfiring. As you increase the rpm's, back firing thru the carb increases.

Plan is to pull the valve covers, turn over by hand and make sure all the p rods spin freely when each piston at tdc and rockers are moving.

Sounds like a rounded lobe.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hi Casey,

I would check the timing again. Initial should be around 12 and total around total 32-34. Do you have another carb you can swap on it to see it makes a difference?Mine is also a 69 S-Code with 4 speed.  I am running a Holley 750 Double Pumper.  Also check to make sure the sparks plugs wires did not get cross and the boots are all the way on the plugs. 

I have not. The car is now at his place, 30 minutes away. May get over there sooner than I want as this corona crap starts effecting peoples jobs. I will be following B’s lead on checking pushrod travel.