TexasEd

Who makes the best headliners?

I recently tore my original headliner.  When I touched it the thread was dry rotter and it split at the first seam.  Now I have old foam padding falling on me.  I probably need to get new sail panels too.

I have the Dark Red interior so I need that color.  What should I do about the insulation?  Is this the time to replace the package tray, seat belts, etc?  My windshield also has a lot of pitting.  One thing leads to another.

The windshield should be removed to properly install the headliner. I only use carlite glass. You can get it tinted and shaded. TMI makes the best headliners and interiors these days. The sail panels are crap. I usually remove the vinyl then put several slices part way thru the cardboard on the backside running front to back then spray water on the back then bend them so they curve properly then support them on the top and bottom then put a weight in the midline towards the front to maintain the curve then let them sit for a few hours then check the curve to make sure it is correct and if it is i then reglue the vinyl and install them. Doesn't this sound like fun?

I used tmi, worked fine.  but I cannot speak for comparative quality since it's the only one I've used.

Might I suggest, if you're looking online at tutorials.  While the whole - "cut windlace into 1inch strips and use that to hold the headliner in place" - does work.  I went to walmart and got about a hundred medium binder clips.   Way easier to work with, adjust and move around for a noob like me.  Just google "medium binder clip" you'll see what I'm talking about.

Oh yah, I pulled both front and rear glass.

8 hours ago, MustangRanch said:

I used tmi, worked fine.  but I cannot speak for comparative quality since it's the only one I've used.

Might I suggest, if you're looking online at tutorials.  While the whole - "cut windlace into 1inch strips and use that to hold the headliner in place" - does work.  I went to walmart and got about a hundred medium binder clips.   Way easier to work with, adjust and move around for a noob like me.  Just google "medium binder clip" you'll see what I'm talking about.

Oh yah, I pulled both front and rear glass.

Great tip,  I think we have a huge box of those clips.

I need to replace the front glass and probably should replace rear glass seal.

Hey RPM and Newstang. Can you guys post some pics of your one-piece headliner? I am on the fence on this one. I'd like to see how they look before I spend that much.

How do they attach to the roof?

Were you able to install by yourself or did you need a second set of hands?

7 hours ago, Notams said:

Hey RPM and Newstang. Can you guys post some pics of your one-piece headliner? I am on the fence on this one. I'd like to see how they look before I spend that much.

How do they attach to the roof?

Were you able to install by yourself or did you need a second set of hands?

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

I used TMI's one piece headliner, way cheaper than MTF! Free shipping and easy install with included sail panels.  I did it in my driveway by myself with some clips.  Definitely more headroom and the look is great!

Couple of reasons why  TMI who copied our  headliner is  cheaper. First is a thin layer of  fiberglass is considerably  cheaper than a  sheet of ABS plastic. Second would be the cost of a top quality ceramic mold versus  an inexpensive mold for the fiberglass. They  sell the headliner to their  dealers for 130.00 but they can't  afford to ship them, that's  why they are all dropped  shipped from  TMI.  Look at the reviews and  videos from  customers  complaining about the  separation.  Ours  will last a lifetime:)

A little delayed, but thanks for the pics guys. I went ahead and purchased the MTF one-piece with overhead console.

For MTF: I asked a question on your site regarding seat belts. Please let me know the answer as soon as you can. Thanks.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:24 AM, Mach1 Driver said:

He didn't mention it above, but I have read very good things about Mustangs To Fear's headliner. They are one piece and I don't believe they come in red.

If you use a good  quality  dye like SEM , you can dye them any color  you want. With a  headliner it could last forever,  compared to  a seat. 

I also installed a TMI headliner in my 69 Mach 1.  I installed it before both the front and rear glass were installed.  That does make it easier to glue the head liner to the pinch welds and hold it in place with something like pieces of windlace or a lot of small spring clamps and pieces of paint stir sticks.  I installed it on a hot day so the material was easier to work with.  It installed easier than I expected.  You don't really have to stretch the heck out of the material.  I only say that because the first headliner I helped install was in a 1967 sports roof Mustang and it had some wrinkles in it.  After a few months it was fine and snug.  For some reason it seems to fit better with time.

As far as one-piece headliners.  By themselves they look okay and they look fine in modern cars.  But for me, I'm more of a purist, so they look out of place in any car of this time period.

Depends on what you are going for.  The original, I agree with most I put in a TMI liner on a 69 sports roof.  I had both front and back glass out.  To glue it in I believe you need them both out. To stretch and glue the liner  its much cleaner with no glass.  

There are some good videos on Youtube on how to do this.  But it does take time and patience to pull the wrinkles out of it.  

On 9/2/2019 at 8:20 AM, mustangstofear said:

Couple of reasons why  TMI who copied our  headliner is  cheaper. First is a thin layer of  fiberglass is considerably  cheaper than a  sheet of ABS plastic. Second would be the cost of a top quality ceramic mold versus  an inexpensive mold for the fiberglass. They  sell the headliner to their  dealers for 130.00 but they can't  afford to ship them, that's  why they are all dropped  shipped from  TMI.  Look at the reviews and  videos from  customers  complaining about the  separation.  Ours  will last a lifetime:)

Why do you say they copied you?  It doesn't look like MTF headliner, its made differently and according to you its not as good, so is nobody else allowed to make a 1 piece hahah.  I'm enjoying mine and it looks great, and once again it shipped free so no worries to me on that part.  As for reviews I've seen many that are happy with the TMI one and gripe about MTFs price so I guess its all about perspective and for you since its a competitor you're not happy about it haha.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they are both molded to the roof of the car haha.  I mean every company that makes regular headliner replacements are all copying one another then.  That's great that competition doesnt bother you, it's the american way!! I just noticed you like to slam them every chance you get on multiple forums especially when people say they liked their products.