970fizz

1970 mustang convertible torq box ???

I found a very nice 70 mustang convertible, original 6cl car.   I looked under the car and I don't see front torq boxes on driver or passenger side,  no not rusted out or cut off.  There just not there.   Am I missing something about 70 6cl cars?? 

Thanks 

This is interesting, I do not know.  I would think the forces on the frame would be the same if it is a  large 6 or a small V8.  But Ford used 4 lugs on the front hubs instead  of 5 on the V8, so maybe they left off other parts to save $10?

49 minutes ago, danno said:

This is interesting, I do not know.  I would think the forces on the frame would be the same if it is a  large 6 or a small V8.  But Ford used 4 lugs on the front hubs instead  of 5 on the V8, so maybe they left off other parts to save $10?

I thought all 69 and 70 had 5 lugs. My 70 6 cyl coupe has 5 lugs. And it has the front torque boxes.

43 minutes ago, Mike65 said:

In 69 & 70 if you had the 200 6 cyl it had the 4 lug wheels, the 250 6cyl it had the 5 lug wheels.

Yes the 70 convertible I'm looking at is a 250. 5 lug car, still doesn't explain why the car does not have front torq boxes?     

6 hours ago, Mike65 said:

In 69 & 70 if you had the 200 6 cyl it had the 4 lug wheels, the 250 6cyl it had the 5 lug wheels.

My 70 Grandes vin is 0T04T, engine code is T which is 200 cuin 6 cyl and 5 lug.

9 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Are you sure someone hasnt removed them ,i am pretty sure all mustangs after 68 had both torque boxes

I guess anything is possible,  but I don't think so,  there are 0 signs that they got cut out,  it really looks like they are just not there at all.  

1 hour ago, danno said:

is it possible the car was not originally a convertible?  What does the door tag have for body style code?  Does the mechanicals in the back for the top look original?

danno, IIRC any Mustang body style 68 & after would have both torque boxes, like ridge runner stated above.