TexasEd

Parking Brake release mechanism

My 1969 Mustang parking brake /  emergency brake release mechanism that is attached to the pedal is not working properly.

When I pull the handle the pedal flies forward like it was shot out of a cannon and the brake releases but the handle does not return to the “in” position it just stays pulled out.  If you push on the pedal while the handle is out the teeth do not engage and the brake won’t lock.  I have to manually push the handle back in to get it to work the next time. 

Can anyone share what I need to do here?  I con’t find anything that shows a spring for the handle return.  Could it just be gummed up and needs a cleaning and lubrication?

Thanks,  That looks like the bar goes through the spring and compresses the spring when pulled.  My bar is bare there and has no spring on it.  I don't know if I can get a new spring on it if I even had one.

It looks like the bar may have been rewelded back on after breaking at some point.  May have been when it was stored at my dad's house.

10 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Thanks,  That looks like the bar goes through the spring and compresses the spring when pulled.  My bar is bare there and has no spring on it.  I don't know if I can get a new spring on it if I even had one.

It looks like the bar may have been rewelded back on after breaking at some point.  May have been when it was stored at my dad's house.

Sounds like that's the problem. Shouldn't be too hard to fit a spring.

7 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Where would I get a spring?  It seems that the right size and set for compression is essential here.

I would think that a generic spring would do the trick. Something from an assorted spring kit. It's not too high tech. You may have to experiment and cut one down to suit.

I found a nearly exact match to the original at Ace Hardware, assuming all Ace Hardware have the same spring offerings.  My local one has a rack of drawers with different size springs.  

You'll also want something to hold the spring in place and give it something to push against.  I used a rubber grommet.