Debbie

69 mach1 parking lights

My parking lights go off when I put the headlights on

I think they should stay on for safety and it looks nice

I went to YouTube and found that by putting a jumper in the light switch you can make them stay on because then they would be working off the tail lights 

I will post the diagram 

My 69 vert acts the same way as Debbie's.  When the headlights are on, parking lights are off.  Also, note that the side marker lights are on both when the parking lights are on and when the headlights on.

The park lights on a 69 are run off contact P of the light switch which is on only in "Park". Contact R is on in "Park" and "On". As you mentioned you could add a jumper between contacts P and R- however you will be adding 2.916 amps to contact R (a 36% increase). Since contact R already carries 8.115 amps and the rating is unknown (Ford never divulges component specs), it would be safer to use a relay triggered by contact R to drive the front park lights. This schematic shows the exterior light circuits.

5JYZtwn.png

41 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

The park lights on a 69 are run off contact P of the light switch which is on only in "Park". Contact R is on in "Park" and "On". As you mentioned you could add a jumper between contacts P and R- however you will be adding 2.916 amps to contact R (a 36% increase). Since contact R already carries 8.115 amps and the rating is unknown (Ford never divulges component specs), it would be safer to use a relay triggered by contact R to drive the front park lights. This schematic shows the exterior light circuits.

5JYZtwn.png

A relay is the way to go. The headlight switches are prone to overload issues, especially as they age.

Another possibility is to get a 70 headlight switch (A 70 switch looks the same and has exactly the same plug configuration but must be internally different based on part #) and connect the P wire to R.

A couple suggestions is to add the headlight relay on the headlights.  Then you can do whatever you want with the parking lights and get brighter headlights in the tradeoff.  I did both. I use halogen headlights with a relay, and the lights are way brighter ( a huge amount).  I also connected my front parking lights to the headlight connection as suggested. 

If you have the deluxe option, the ring around the key switch also lights up when the light switch is in the park position.  Because I made the change, mine is on all the time the lights are on.

Just to clarify, the suggestions Mach1 driver made are correct, but they do not matter if you use the headlight on relay.  I am not sure if Midlife sells them or not, but I think CJ pony will have them//