Rich Ackermann

Remote Motorized Side View Mirrors Using stock 1969 to 73 housings

I always wanted to add motorized side view mirrors to our cars. Well in my case my 1970 Mach 1 project car. I have seen posts where folks have adapted 2015 Mustang side view mirrors to a 1969 Mustang, but I wanted to have a more original look.

Well with some research, a few parts from a (non-Ford) donor car and some fabrication and experimentation, I made it work. As an added bonus, I incorporated sequential LED directional lights to the package. I made very little mods to the original mirror. Obviously a hole thru the inside of the pedestal and the housing where the two meet for the wires. Also needed to fashion a custom mount bracket inside to mount the motor and mirror. Check out the video attachment file at the bottom of the passenger side it in operation.....

7-17-2019 5-10-47 PM.jpg

2 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Nice  job. Where did you get all the parts from  ?

X2 on what pieces did you use & from what years & cars did you get the parts.

I've seen the electric modification done here and there but never one with the turn signals too. Nice!

Is that a modified original glass, a trimmed other-brand glass or what?

9 hours ago, GypsyR said:

I've seen the electric modification done here and there but never one with the turn signals too. Nice!

Is that a modified original glass, a trimmed other-brand glass or what?

The glass is a "standard" reproduction you can get from CJ or any other distributor. They are semi transparent and dont have the mounting back plate so the LEDs will show thru the glass from the back. 

On 7/21/2019 at 10:02 AM, Rich Ackermann said:

The glass is a "standard" reproduction you can get from CJ or any other distributor. They are semi transparent and dont have the mounting back plate so the LEDs will show thru the glass from the back. 

Come on Rick are you really going to show us this and not give us the details? I'll add my name to the list with MTF, Mike65, bigmal, and 69Stanger408: how about a parts list?

Don't be afraid to epoxy tabs onto the inside of the mirror housing.  I'm wrapping up my electric mirror mods using SN95 mustang motors, and used bent sheet metal tabs epoxied to help stiffen up the mounting plate. 

Pictures of my drivers mirror.  Not the same motors you are using, but may provide some ideas to help you. The SN95 motors have a removable plastic backing that snap off the motors (the black plate shown in the last picture).  I trimmed it down to the size of our mirrors. My mirror glass is currently at the glass place being cut.

20190710_214922.thumb.jpg.4aea0f0daae5cf8314a76053874e5682.jpg20190710_215247.thumb.jpg.7f55cbbcf357a224a09e03c6e1354d5b.jpg20190710_215317.thumb.jpg.cadb5f8f48040e76c98aa3e6f5b7e0d9.jpg

Passenger side.  I cut down the existing lower tab due to the extra thickness of the motors, and then re-tapped it.  Epoxied tabs to the roof of the housing, and used a flat plate for the bracket to mount the motors to.   Another tip, look into the early 2000 ford mirror switch.  With a little enlarging of the mustang deluxe door panel mirror hole, the switch looks like it was made to be there!

20190609_205814.thumb.jpg.b06c8b52ace3e3dd22760c7f04a75408.jpg

20190611_182900.thumb.jpg.fec3010a2e3ff53b7f39542eb5f1b4b6.jpg

20190611_203128.thumb.jpg.685ad5497c5479e05fd1f4e97bd3689c.jpg

20190611_203159.thumb.jpg.4f0644299f8b583b2e679a2f131e096e.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I was originally looking at fitting mid 80's RX7 mirrors but this is way better.

I just need to source the parts. That will be a challenge in Australia as we don't have access to the parts you guys do.

5 hours ago, bigmal said:

Thanks for posting this. I was originally looking at fitting mid 80's RX7 mirrors but this is way better.

I just need to source the parts. That will be a challenge in Australia as we don't have access to the parts you guys do.

No problem! These motors are also the same as the Fox body mustang's, but dont have the detachable plastic mirror backing. It is instead plastic riveted/fused. I found out the SN95 mustang's use the same mirror motor for either side, which caused initial headache with the switch I used which had specific LH/RH motors. I was getting the LH motor going down when I was pressing up on the switch. Swapping the wires around fixed that!

18 hours ago, buening said:

Pic of the switch from an early 2000 ford (F150/Mustang/etc), which I also have an aluminum/chrome knob and bezel that I may still add on since the original knob and bezel was chrome.

20190730_215009.jpg

I'm not sure where I would locate this switch as my car is converted to right hand drive and the remote mirror is still on the left. May have to cut a hole.

4 hours ago, bigmal said:

I'm not sure where I would locate this switch as my car is converted to right hand drive and the remote mirror is still on the left. May have to cut a hole.

Center console is an option. 69 have the cigarette lighter hole in the front of the compartment. On a 70 console you drill a hole thru the woodgrain top. Under the woodgrain in that spot is a space where 69 years had the seatbelt buckle holder. Just a few ideas.

On 7/30/2019 at 4:53 PM, buening said:

Don't be afraid to epoxy tabs onto the inside of the mirror housing.  I'm wrapping up my electric mirror mods using SN95 mustang motors, and used bent sheet metal tabs epoxied to help stiffen up the mounting plate. 

I have done the same thing...    Working at a body shop, we get all kinds of damaged mirrors to replace, and I salvage the motors from them.  I epoxy (JB Weld) a threaded boss on one side of the inner mirror housing, there is an existing boss on the other side. Then I have designed a 0.040 sheet metal bracket that I cut out and bend to the correct depth to mount the motor to. I created a 0.090" thick piece of Polycarbonate that I attach to the the outer surface of the motor assembly where I can adhere the Mirror Glass to the assembly. I have only used a Single LED 'Arrow' for the turn indicator so far. I also use a 2015 Ford Escape switch panel to control both mirrors as well as all power windows.