Debbie

Glove box switch and light

I’ve had all kinds of issues with installing a painless wiring harness.

My issue now is installing a glove box switch and glove box light

I contacted painless performance about this installation.

The tech said to plug the glove box switch into a lead coming off the map light.

ok I did, my question is where does the glove box light plug in?

There is also a male/ female plug on the clock harness that the manual tells you not to use?

I attached my light to the glove box switch to the housing of the switch because it has current 

coming from it from the map light, but the problem is when the glove box switch touches the metal dash when you install it in the hole, the map light come on?

The Map light / glove box light and the clock has it's own wire harness. All you need to do is power that harness and connect the glove box door switch. It then all should function as stock. The Map light will light when the glove box door is opened.

This may help...

69 Mustang interior lightd.jpg

Here is the wiring on my 70 mach. I have a repro map light, but the rest is factory. The repro map light male/female plug did not match up with the male/male plug on the original wire harness. So I made a pigtale adapter to connect them.

20190715_181947.jpg

Thank you for showing me the picture 

when I plug my harness for the light and plug the switch into the harness it doesn’t work.

This is what I did to make it work

I attached the hot wire coming from the light harness to the housing of the switch, now it works but if the switch touches any metal such as the hole in the glove box where it’s installed, the map light comes on

so I covered the switch so it wont touch metal and it works?? I don’t know why it wouldn’t work the original way 

19 minutes ago, Debbie said:

Thank you for showing me the picture 

when I plug my harness for the light and plug the switch into the harness it doesn’t work.

This is what I did to make it work

I attached the hot wire coming from the light harness to the housing of the switch, now it works but if the switch touches any metal such as the hole in the glove box where it’s installed, the map light comes on

so I covered the switch so it wont touch metal and it works?? I don’t know why it wouldn’t work the original way 

First, there are two switches involved here... one on the light fixture and the glovebox door plunger switch. I assume you are referring to the button plunger at the glovebox door. 

The Glovebox door switch is normally a ground connection and will complete the circuit (light will come on) when the switch plunger is extended (glovebox door open). This operation overrides the ground at the light fixture switch. Press the plunger (close glovebox door) and the light will go out. With that said, there is the switch on the light fixture itself that will also make a ground connection when in the "on" position even with the glovebox door closed. The ground (negative) connection is thru the black wire and the positive is thru the green wire in my picture.

Does the light turn on and off with the light fixture switch without the glovebox switch connected, it should work? If not then you may have a ground issue with the source ground wire. Maybe you have a faulty Glovebox switch where it is still grounding even with the glovebox door closed, or the negative ground and the positive wires are crossed at your power source, but I would think this would cause a short? 

Its more likely that the SPDT map light switch is wired incorrectly. I don't have a switch to look at but does the wire going to the map light connect to the center terminal of the map light switch? One of the end terminals should go to chassis, and the other end terminal to the glove box switch. 

The map light and glovebox door plunger ground (black wire #57 in the electrical diagram) flows back thru the clock harness and then back to the printed circuit board and then eventually to the chassis. The 57 black ground wire connects to the two end terminals on the map light switch with the positive wire on the middle terminal.