Sign in to follow this  
Rindelmach1

new autolite voltage regulator keeps alt light on after start

I decided to replace my voltage regulator for no other reason than putting on concours correct autolite one on my 69 mach 1.  When I do, the alternator light stays on when i start the car.  if i put the old one back in, alternator light goes off after start.  wiring connector has orange wire on the right contact in the diagram which only fits one way.  need some advise on why i'm having issue with autolite VR - thanks rob

Resized_20190713_182220.jpeg

Resized_20190713_182206.jpeg

My first guess would be something is wrong with the new regulator.  I'd also check the voltage output from the stator terminal on the alternator and the where it connects to the voltage regulator.  Stator terminal voltage should be at least half of the charging system voltage.  As you can see, the stator voltage from the alternator closes contacts inside the voltage regulator allowing battery voltage tp pass through terminal "A" on the voltage regulator and back-feed the charge indicator light.  Thus the end result is equal voltage on both sides of the light, which stops current flow through the light, and turns it off.

1969 Mustang Alternator Wiring With Light.jpg

I was having the same problems on my car. I have three older style Autolite reproduction regulators and with each one the alternator light stays on. If I raise the Rpm on the engine to about 2000 rpm the light goes out. The concourse correct reproduction regulators have lots of issues. I bought a fourth regulator over the weekend and finally got a good one. Light is off and car is charging perfectly. I would return it to wherever you bought it for an exchange. Especially if the one you took off of the car is working properly. I’m sure wherever you bought it from is well aware of the issues people have with these things. 

Ok so I called CJP for the third time and they offered to either give me a refund or get a third replacement so I chose the third replacement.  It arrived today and I connected it, started the engine and surprise, no alternator light. Everything is working as it should.  I then decided to connect the first two they sent me and verified that alternator light comes on with no charging to battery. I put back the working autolite regulator and everything is working fine. 

@Mach514 - what are the chances that they it took three regulators same as your issue?  I guess these autolites repos are poor quality.