newstang

69 convertible door glass weatherstrip question

Ok, I'm losing my mind on this one.

I have a front door glass that has the stainless part for the weatherstrip and others are telling me the weatherstrip should be on the rear quarter glass.

Who knows for sure cause this will drive me nuts! 

I have a 70 vert with glue on door glass. The metal strip and weather strip is on quarter glass.

Don't know how accurate but what I found through my searches and comparing my 69 coupes, 70 coupe (with bolt on glass) and 70 vert (with glue on glass) is that, 69 coupe and vert has metal trim and weather strip on door glass.

70 coupe and vert has metal trim and weather strip on quarter glass, doesn't matter if it is glued on (early model) or bolted door glass.

69 door glass is not same as 70 glued on glass, 70 door glass is a little wider and 69 quarter glass is a little wider than 70 quarter glass.

Metal trim for weather strip for 69 is not the same for 70,  the weather strip that goes on it are also different between 69 and 70.

Did I confuse you more?

28 minutes ago, newstang said:

Wow. Thanks for the info. So the glass I have is 69 glue in I also acquired a 70 bolt in. So I guess I can go with either  and use the appropriate weatherstripping 

No, you need either 69 door and quarter glass and metal strip, or 70 door (glued or bolt on) and quarter glass and metal strip; you can't mix and match 69 and 70 door and quarter glasses for coupes; I believe this also true for the verts.. If you use 69 glass set, the weather strip goes on the door glass (which is correct for 69 coupe and vert). If you use 70 set, the weather strip goes on quarter glass. 70 coupe and vert metal strip for weather strip is not reproduced, you need to find a used set; 69 metal strip is reproduced. Both 69 and 70 weather strip (which I already stated on my previous post that they are different) are reproduced. Also, as far as I know, the vert quarter is not same as coupe quarter glass (the door glass for coupe and vert are the same).

Well, before you reply to my post above, can you tell me what year and body style door glass you have; what year and body style quarter glass you have and what year metal for weather strip you have?

When I converted to bolt in on my 69 vert I had purchase reproduction 70 vert glass as the 69 and 70 are different and coupe and convert quarter glass is different.  I had a difficult time finding used 70 vert quarter windows so I bought new repros.  They are even date coded.

aslanefe is right on the money. Both the quarter and door glass are different between '69 and '70, and the reason is because they switched the location of the stainless weatherstrip piece.

The easiest way to visualize this is to imagine laying '70 glass on top of '69 glass. They will be the same size, except one will be all glass and the other one will be partially stainless molding.

In other words, the glass is a different size but the glass plus stainless makes them both the same, so mixing the two is not possible. 

I have a set of each and photographed them together, unfortunately my photos suck but give you the gist.

DSCN1416.JPG

DSCN1342.JPG