RobotMan

Mysterious Dash Panel Hole

5 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

I forgot for certain but I think it is either for a seat belt light or emergency brake light. If you have a wire going to your e brake, that is what it is for although the wire could be missing as well.

Thanks. That helps a lot!

It looks like a hole for the parking warning brake light. The light goes on if your parking brake is engaged.  I have the same hole and the parking brake light is installed in it for my 69 convertible.  I can take a photo and send it in the morning, if you would like.

attached is a photo of mine.  It's a bit dark because it was in the garage. My Marti report says that my car came with the Visibility Group Option:  LH remote chrome mirror , glove box lock, lights in the trunk, glove box and ash tray, parking brake warning light, lighted ignition switch

IMG_5697.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 6.27.47 AM.png

54 minutes ago, RobotMan said:

Thanks guys. That is great info. 

Now the question is do you want to replace it.

I think there is a small 1/2 inch long tab on the side of the e brake pedal near the top where it pivots and this tab depresses a button when the brake is disengaged. When the pedal is depressed it releases the botton which then sends power to the light turning it on. If the return espring on the pedal gets weak it will not return the pedal far enough to depress the button to turn the light off which pisses some people off who then disable it.

5 hours ago, barnett468 said:

Now the question is do you want to replace it.

I think there is a small 1/2 inch long tab on the side of the e brake pedal near the top where it pivots and this tab depresses a button when the brake is disengaged. When the pedal is depressed it releases the botton which then sends power to the light turning it on. If the return espring on the pedal gets weak it will not return the pedal far enough to depress the button to turn the light off which pisses some people off who then disable it.

I will put it in and get it working. 

13 hours ago, capemustang said:

attached is a photo of mine.  It's a bit dark because it was in the garage. My Marti report says that my car came with the Visibility Group Option:  LH remote chrome mirror , glove box lock, lights in the trunk, glove box and ash tray, parking brake warning light, lighted ignition switch

IMG_5697.jpeg

To me it looks like the dash is dimpled and not flat where that park brake light is installed?  Or is that a special  bezel for the park brake light and the dash is flat in that area?

The other part of the parking brake is shown here. Someone had busted the metal part on my 69 (the curved part).  It wouldn't connect to the part that engaged the parking brake light.  I found a similar one from another year and model.  I had to bend it to fit and connect when the parking brake was engaged.  It is more difficult to find the one in the image, although Ford installed them in many different models for 1969.  I am attaching a discussion that I found about the parking brake light when I was repairing/installing mine two years ago. 

parkingbrakediscussion.PNG

parkingbrakeswitchimage.PNG

These parts are hard to find and fairly pricy. Most of the time when you find just the light bezel it gots for over $100 without the wiring or switch. I had the wiring for a long time before I ever found a light bezel for mine. There’s only one on eBay right now. It’s $250 + shipping and is missing the fuse box accessory terminal you will have to add plus the three way pig tail to plug the light into. Midlife may have the wiring parts if you don’t have those, that’s where I got mine but the bezel is though to find.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/69-70-Shelby-Mustang-BOSS-Mach1-Deluxe-Dash-Parking-Brake-Light/323019182436?epid=3013493377&hash=item4b35719164:g:0fQAAOSwKcVaZLje