ThePoose

The SCJ that became an M code?

Sorry, didn't know how to title this.  In my build thread, a number of you noticed my car had big block shock towers.  I was working on installing the upper rack for my TCP rear coilover suspension yesterday and it wouldn't fit.  This was in the way:

DSC_4955 DSC_4952

I'd never given it much thought before and always assumed every 69 had this staggered shock mount. (I'm pretty sure that's what it is).  After a little internet digging, it looks like it was only on CJ/SCJ cars.  I can understand why TCP wouldn't have engineered for this.  Before I start carefully removing this, I had a couple of questions:

1 -- Is there any issue with removing it structurally?  I doesn't seem to be, but I'm not overly familiar with big block cars.

2 -- Is it hurting any value?  This is definitely an M code car.  The VIN, data plate and build sheet all confirm this.  Other than being an oddity, it doesn't seem to matter.  It doesn't have any other CJ/SCJ components.  

3 -- Do I need to carefully remove it?  I assume this is a fairly rare piece, but enough that it could fund a few hundred bucks toward the project?  Or to just keep in a box with all of the other original parts?  It's solid, other than some surface rust.  To get the cradle to fit, I'd just have to clearance the areas where the plate touches the frame rail and cut off part of that upper shock mount.  Given that there's about 30 spot welds in it, removing will take a while.

Thanks for your thoughts.

What engine code is your car?

It came on all 4 speed cars and it can NOT really be "carefully" removed. if you look inside your trunk you will see a 30" long 2" high by 2" wide piece of sheet metal running side to side just beyond the gas tank that has around a bazillion spot welds on it. This piece is all part of the tiny shock bracket on staggered shock cars.

You could just cut off the amount of bracket underneath the car to get the clearance you need.

Removing the bracket will not greatly affect the value of your car since it will be highly modified anyway.

Removing any portion of the staggered shock mount will not adversely affect the structural integrity of the body.

It's an M code 4-speed car.  So would all 4-speed cars have used the staggered mount?  The lower mounting plate on the shackles is set up for the front shock mount.

Carefully was a bit of a joke.  I guess this is what the instructions meant by "some clearance adjustment may be necessary."  I'm also calling Chris Alston Chassisworks before I cut anything.  It seems like they would specifically call out this step for four speed cars if it's that common.

Are you certain it was all 4sp Mustangs in 69 and 70?  Or are you referring to 428 Mustangs with a 4sp in 69 and 70?  Because you could get a 302 or 351W with a 4sp, I'm not certain those would have come with or needed staggered rear shocks.

2 hours ago, barnett468 said:

That answer is in my previous post. but more specifically, that type of mount was on 69 and 70 cars only

I was asking more out of curiosity.  Because even though mine has that upper mount, it doesn't have the shackle with the lower mount.  Just the standard shock setup.  Doesn't affect me moving forward.  Thanks.

36 minutes ago, ThePoose said:

I was asking more out of curiosity.  Because even though mine has that upper mount, it doesn't have the shackle with the lower mount.  Just the standard shock setup.  Doesn't affect me moving forward.  Thanks.

I don't know what you mean by "shackle". but the bottom plate on the staggered shock side is different than a non staggered shock one and is probably a bazillion dollars if you can find one, HOWEVER, if I recall correctly, you can in fact use the non staggered plate on the staggered plate side with the biggest difference being the angle of the hole the shock shaft goes into. If you want the angle to be more correct you can modify the bracket accordingly but it is not necessary as I recall.

These are repo staggered plates.

Rear-Spring-Shock-Plates-Pair-1969-1970-

These are originals

P1030512.jpg

I am not sure how these cars wound up with the staggered shock mounts ,i have a F code with it ,it also has the big block towers but i have owned it since the early 80s and i know it has  never been apart . As far as i know only big block had them . Ford used up left over parts ,i had a F code convert that had one big block tower and one small block tower . Just have to wonder if they were screw ups on the assembly line 

Yes, I was referring to the bottom plate.  My bottom plates are non-staggered, and I pulled the factory shocks out of this over 30 years ago.  So, if all 4-speeds were supposed to have staggered shocks, mine has the upper mount but never had the staggered shocks installed.  Like Ridge said, maybe sometimes they just grabbed what they had on hand.

8 minutes ago, ThePoose said:

Yes, I was referring to the bottom plate.  My bottom plates are non-staggered, and I pulled the factory shocks out of this over 30 years ago.  So, if all 4-speeds were supposed to have staggered shocks, mine has the upper mount but never had the staggered shocks installed.  Like Ridge said, maybe sometimes they just grabbed what they had on hand.

There have been many inconsistencies from ford. Even some of the competition suspension cars did not get the staggered lower plate, but your main questions have been answered.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:42 PM, barnett468 said:

I don't know what you mean by "shackle". but the bottom plate on the staggered shock side is different than a non staggered shock one and is probably a bazillion dollars if you can find one, HOWEVER, if I recall correctly, you can in fact use the non staggered plate on the staggered plate side with the biggest difference being the angle of the hole the shock shaft goes into. If you want the angle to be more correct you can modify the bracket accordingly but it is not necessary as I recall.

These are repo staggered plates.

Rear-Spring-Shock-Plates-Pair-1969-1970-

These are originals

P1030512.jpg

I am in need of a set of these, does anyone have any? As well as the rest of the pieces to finish my restoration.

2 hours ago, 289GT Rick said:

I am in need of a set of these, does anyone have any? As well as the rest of the pieces to finish my restoration.

you could try perogies, or dead nuts on, or mansfield mustang, and there are a couple others that slip my mind right now.