Sign in to follow this  
albarnett_99

Car Won't Start

Need some help solving a no start condition.  I recently started the car and was warming it up in the garage.  Suddenly it died and I was able to restart with no issues.  Motor died again and then would not start after multiple attempts.

Checked battery terminals, grounds, spark plug wires, coil wire, etc.  Validated that I had spark, fuel in carb, a fully charged battery and was getting 12V to the coil.  Shifted transmission in and out of Park (neutral safety switch).  Pulled the cap and inspected it along with the rotor.  All looked clean.  After multiple tries to start without success, I decided to swap in another coil (known to be good) with no success.  

Thinking that perhaps the module in the distributor had gone bad (MSD Ready to Run), I decided to pull the distributor and replace it with a spare sitting on the shelf (worked fine prior to removal).  Swapped out everything and attempted to start again.  Cranks fine but will not fire.

Not really sure where to go from here.  Looking for additional ideas or tests with a multimeter that can be done.  Appreciate any ideas you may have.

When you say it has spark, is that spark out of the coil, spark at the spark plugs, or both?  If you pull the plugs and it's getting fuel they should be wet with fuel.  Does it sound normal, you know does it have the same rhythm when each cylinder is on compression during cranking?

If you have an MSD ignition system are you checking spark with something like this below?  Notice there is no center electrode sticking out of that spark tester.  Your MSD ignition system should be able to jump that huge gap.  There is another model spark tester with a center electrode for points type ignition systems.

th?id=OP.pNsseI5SlS0nug474C474&w=300&h=3

When I originally encountered the problem, I had spark at the plug wire (MSD distributor).  Last night I retraced my steps on the second distributor (Mallory) and discovered that I did NOT have spark at the plug wire.  I had just under 12v at both sides of the coil.  

I’m thinking I may put the MSD back in and try to further troubleshoot since I had spark at the plug wire.  I’m open to other ideas from others as well.