newstang

Best bumpers?

Ok guys, need to get bumpers.

I hear ACP makes one of the nicest.

I only have access to Dynacorn.

Rechroming isn't the way I want to spend and not sure the ones I have are original/

What say you?

How do you only have access to Dynacorn? NPD delivers everywhere. I have the newer NPD bumpers where fit great. They went to great lengths to find 2 undamaged front bumpers to use to make the new one. Most original front bumpers have been tapped in the center which makes them wider. Repop bumpers will be wider if the bumper used for measurements was tapped in the middle and wider. Get the NPD bumpers, you won't be sorry. 

If you wish, I'll send you the email I received from NPD's owner Rick Schmidt describing his efforts to get a perfect bumper.

I'm in the process of putting my Mach 1 back together. I bought the NPD bumpers in 2013, they are from Golden Legion. 
I don't know if these are the "good ones" already, but I'm not completely happy with the rear bumper. It's pretty light and I think it's wider than it's supposed to be.
I haven't checked the front bumper yet, though... Does NPD have another set of bumpers now? The part numbers are the same today and when I ordered them.

10 hours ago, RPM said:

How do you only have access to Dynacorn? NPD delivers everywhere. I have the newer NPD bumpers where fit great. They went to great lengths to find 2 undamaged front bumpers to use to make the new one. Most original front bumpers have been tapped in the center which makes them wider. Repop bumpers will be wider if the bumper used for measurements was tapped in the middle and wider. Get the NPD bumpers, you won't be sorry. 

If you wish, I'll send you the email I received from NPD's owner Rick Schmidt describing his efforts to get a perfect bumper.

:-) I meant I only have a wholesale account with Dynacorn.

Do the NPD bumpers hold up or do they begin to pit after a while? 

the ones i have from Dynacorn are beginning to show little dots in the chrome after only 2 years

Hey Ridge, on another note, is it possible that a Convertible Pillar Seal for these cars is $140 per side? 

do you have any other suggestions? I find it hard to believe that a seal is that expensive.

image.png.d92a8643de4303c4a71fa758a170f333.png

I was at the Mid American Mustang Shelby meet two weeks ago and talked to a gentleman whom had his bumpers painted with a new process that mimics chrome. I gotta tell ya, they were quite impressive. I'm very picky and yet I would put those bumpers on my car.  

50 minutes ago, Machspeed said:

I was at the Mid American Mustang Shelby meet two weeks ago and talked to a gentleman whom had his bumpers painted with a new process that mimics chrome. I gotta tell ya, they were quite impressive. I'm very picky and yet I would put those bumpers on my car.  

Do you remember what this process is called? 

6 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Basically  every  system  out there is the same process.  We tried it  5 or 6 years ago and didn't like the  results.  

I'm curious, what was it that you did not like? 

BTW, this particular car that I looked at and sported these painted bumpers, was a custom that looked like it could have come out of your shop. The stuff done to that car was phenomenal. I think he said the car was done somewhere in Texas. Real leather interior with custom fold down rear seat. Dash and console were very unique, as were the under hood work....very clean. I told him to check out Craig's build. 

20 hours ago, newstang said:

No Doubt, chrome barely lasts imagine a spray on 

I would suspect it would last at least as long as the paint and with the cost of re-chroming today, I'd go for it. I'm telling you, it looked like real chrome. Sorry, did not ask on the process. 

2 hours ago, Machspeed said:

I'm curious, what was it that you did not like? 

BTW, this particular car that I looked at and sported these painted bumpers, was a custom that looked like it could have come out of your shop. The stuff done to that car was phenomenal. I think he said the car was done somewhere in Texas. Real leather interior with custom fold down rear seat. Dash and console were very unique, as were the under hood work....very clean. I told him to check out Craig's build. 

The only reason we  were looking at  this  system was  to chrome our fiberglass  bumpers.  

On 6/21/2019 at 4:31 PM, newstang said:

Ok guys, need to get bumpers.

I hear ACP makes one of the nicest.

I only have access to Dynacorn.

Rechroming isn't the way I want to spend and not sure the ones I have are original/

What say you?

My bumpers were from Scott Drake.  I purchased them and hardware kits through Summit Racing.  They fit as good as the originals and the chrome is great (but not show chrome).  The first front bumper had a small ding in it.  Summit Racing had a replacement to me the next day and also a call tag for UPS pick up on the defective bumper.  My guess is most reproduction bumpers for these cars come from the same overseas manufacturer.