70Mach1rb

69-70 Mach 1 Optioned Wood Grain Package

Hi. I'm new so I'm researching Mach 1's and the type of bezels they came with. Or were optioned for. I've seen bezels that say Mach 1 on back, but only on the wood grain bezel. (instrument cluster panel) 

Yet I find the basic black bezel being sold on eBay and they are listed as mach 1, grande, boss, etc... Question is...

since I have a 70 mach 1 with no dash. I'm trying to collect the right parts to build this car from just a shell. OMG the parts are extremely high. I guess it is due to the parts being made for only two years? 

If anyone has any information they can add here in a reply to bezels,  it would probably be more than helpful. I did purchase a basic black bezel and gauges for $55 dollars on eBay But the part does not say mach 1. Nor does it have the same number as the Mach 1 bezel I saw on youtube.

Here is my part number: DOZF-10841-A. 
Which looks like the 70 bezel in the image.

Cordially,

Rick Bell

ps the basic looking bezel image (2 Bezels) shows 69 and 70 difference. But nowhere does it say these two are also Mach 1. The wood grain I've seen on youtube shows Mach 1 embossed on the back with a different number than the one above.

70m1.jpg

69-70 diff.jpg

Edited by 70Mach1rb
image was left out originally.

69 has a smaller opening for steering wheel shaft, 70 is larger for the column  due to ign switch on column

I believe the number on the back will be the same,

The Facing is what's different-

wood grain on the Mach's and Grande's, there is a dark and lite wood finish

Black for the base models and on the Boss's

As an FYI - I sent my wood grain 69 interior inserts (door panel, radio bezel, instrument cluster)  to a hydrographics shop that sprayed the body color, applied a carbon fiber hydrographic followed by a clear. Will post pics once the items are received.

I am not sure what you are after, however, if you want Mach 1 wood grain dash and glove box pieces, I have a few. I also have a new wood grain radio bezel and the stainless door trim for the deluxe interiors and many other parts. I am also a scott drake dealer and might be able to save you some money on some parts if you want.

Thanks for replies. I appreciate the help. I've researched dozens of issues and parts I will be needing for this car. It is basically a shell at the time with a suspension. Needs everything, including two fenders, a driver door and a hood. The marti report below shows the options it came with. 

I'm just amazed at the cost of used worn out parts. Why would anyone want to restore a car with used worn out parts that look nasty? I don't get it. And why would they ever pay 8 times too much for that part! 

I was going to get a bezel of course but I figured it could be refurbished with new gauges and wood grain? Sure it was painted black at the factory. So I guess painting is okay. The problem is that these parts were dipped in chrome entirely to get the chrome rings around the openings. So that poses a problem in trying to refurbish one. Who has a chrome bath at home? 

Not sure that you could ever redo one of these to make it look brand new. And I guess they no longer make them. hmmmm. Lots of issue restoring a car with only some after market parts. 
I need the back seat backing piece. Someone wanted $200 bucks on eBay for a rusted one. C'mon! No one sees this part even!

Oh well, time to stop complaining and start thinking out loud. Laugh a little and move forward. Thanks again for your help of course.

Cordially, 

Rick Bell

added two picks of before and after my last restoration. Took me two years!

56 chevy.jpg

56 before.jpg

omg...ok, i hate you now. that belair is killer . i love those cars.

you can get the instrument bezel "rechromed" so the edge around the gauges looks like chrome the way it originally did. the process is called vacuum metalizing.

10 hours ago, 70Mach1rb said:

Well hopefully I can something that won't need vacuum metalizing. It cannot be cheap.

they will all need vacuum metalizing but you can cheat and paint it with chrome in a can instead. i think the vacuum metalizing was around $150.00 the last time I had it done.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:58 AM, 69Stanger408 said:

As an FYI - I sent my wood grain 69 interior inserts (door panel, radio bezel, instrument cluster)  to a hydrographics shop that sprayed the body color, applied a carbon fiber hydrographic followed by a clear. Will post pics once the items are received.

That’s going to be cool. Post pics!