rmarks

Options for More Seat to Steering Wheel Clearance?

Besides lowering the seat pan or going with a smaller diameter aftermarket steering wheel, is there a way to get more clearance (e.g., raising the steering wheel) to get more clearance between the seat and steering wheel?  I find it difficult for me to slide in and out of the driver's seat when entering/exiting the car.

Good one Midlife ... weight is not the problem : ) and the seat is all the way back.  I'll give the extension a try first as I'm not fond of the aftermarket tilt wheel and the tilt-a-way is cost prohibitive.

I installed an IDIDIT tilt column, moved my seat pans back 6" and installed MTF seats (2" lower than competitor seats). I am 6'7" and now fit. Additionally, the inner qtr panel interior pieces was sectioned by 2 inches and wrapped in leather to allow the seat to recline further (can recline all the way though it is not needed). The back seat is eliminated with a custom fold down that stays down at all times. When your 6'7" people can't sit behind you regardless of the car

I am assuming you are talking about a 1969 fastback (Sportsroof) model and those came with two spacers fitting between the column bracket and where it attaches to the pedal support under the dash.  It is an aluminum spacer and it is 1" x1" square and I think 3/8" thick and for some reason Ford wanted the column lower on Sportsroof models.  If you remove those spacers the steering wheel will move up about 3/4"-1".  That might be enough to help.  That's what I did on my 1969 Mach 1. 

After you remove those spacers you will need to replace the small trim panel below the column and that round/oval rubber trim piece that fits over the column with those for a coupe.  But, those are being reproduced and relatively inexpensive.  After you are finished. from the engine compartment side of the firewall, make certain the steering shaft is fairly centered in the column.  You might need to loosen the column floor mount and readjust it a little.

2 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

I am assuming you are talking about a 1969 fastback (Sportsroof) model and those came with two spacers fitting between the column bracket and where it attaches to the pedal support under the dash.  It is an aluminum spacer and it is 1" x1" square and I think 3/8" thick and for some reason Ford wanted the column lower on Sportsroof models.  If you remove those spacers the steering wheel will move up about 3/4"-1".  That might be enough to help.  That's what I did on my 1969 Mach 1. 

After you remove those spacers you will need to replace the small trim panel below the column and that round/oval rubber trim piece that fits over the column with those for a coupe.  But, those are being reproduced and relatively inexpensive.  After you are finished. from the engine compartment side of the firewall, make certain the steering shaft is fairly centered in the column.  You might need to loosen the column floor mount and readjust it a little.

I didn’t know that.  Thanks for the tip. I’ll be doing that for sure.  I move seat platform back 2” I’m only 6’5”

8 hours ago, rmarks said:

Thanks Hux. Mine is a convertible with only one spacer.

Do you have a 69? I took out a 69 coupe steering column recently. Noticed that the column can be slid aft/forward 1.5-2 inches. To do that, you have to loosen the bolt that tightens the firewall bracket around the column, and loosen the 2 nuts that tighten the bracket that squuezes the column at the dash. Then you should be able to pull the column out (unless yours has been pulled all the way out already). This should move the wheel aft and up a little bit. I think 69 coupe and vert columns are the same and mounted the same way. I can get you some pictures showing the 2 nuts/bracket and the adjustment if you want.

8 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Do you have a 69? I took out a 69 coupe steering column recently. Noticed that the column can be slid aft/forward 1.5-2 inches. To do that, you have to loosen the bolt that tightens the firewall bracket around the column, and loosen the 2 nuts that tighten the bracket that squuezes the column at the dash. Then you should be able to pull the column out (unless yours has been pulled all the way out already). This should move the wheel aft and up a little bit. I think 69 coupe and vert columns are the same and mounted the same way. I can get you some pictures showing the 2 nuts/bracket and the adjustment if you want.

That would be good to see.  Mine is a 70

23 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Yes, a 69 vert.  Thanks for the tip.   I'll give your suggestion a try this weekend.

18 hours ago, rmarks said:

Yes, a 69 vert.  Thanks for the tip.   I'll give your suggestion a try this weekend.

The 2 nuts can be seen on the picture below. You might also have to loosen 3 nuts that attach the bracket to dash (the ones on aluminum blocks).  There is a slot on the column tube and an indentation on the bracket (blue tape pointing), you can pull/push the column and change where the indentation on the bracket lays on the slot. Total movement is about 1.5 inches.

DSCF6424.JPG