Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

Disc brakes question

I have the original factory disc brakes up front. What's the consensus on them? Good enough? Replace with Baer, etc? Car will be a 550hp 428 when done. I don't expect to see much past 100mph but I do enjoy spirited driving at times. I recall that the brakes seemed ok back in the 80's when I last drove it (351W 4v). Cost is certainly a factor. Thoughts?

I run the stock power disc brakes on my 428 car.  Perfectly happy with the performance.  Street or straight line track never a problem.  Only locked the brakes up once and it was the rears.  The skid/slide was slow easy and predictable.  Keeping the cars systems stock/original seems to be the way to go ?  Parts, repairs and instructions are much easier to obtain and work with.  Brian

My 69 is a big project for me. Ultimately I want to put disc brakes on the rear and a lot of other stuff I won't cover here. Thing is I need to do what is needed now to get it on the road. Later enhancements come later, so to speak. Otherwise I fear it will take forever to get it rolling. The car has not run for years (probably since the late 80's). I haven't taken a close look yet but the brakes all look like poop. I suspect the pistons are frozen in the calipers. The rotors are quite rusty. I guess what I'm struggling with is do I just replace the front brakes with original single piston calipers & stock rotors or do something like a Wilwood Dynalite 4-piston kit? The Wilwoods will cost about $275 more ($300 vs $575). Forget the multi thousand dollar Baer stuff. Every time I think about something else, I hear a cash register ring :-)

I advise you to just rebuild/replace the stock stuff. I guarantee you it will save you money and heartache down the road. Brake lines including parking brakes won't need to be addressed. This coming from a guy with 14 inch front rotors and rear Cobra disc brakes.

19 hours ago, ksquared said:

My 69 is a big project for me. Ultimately I want to put disc brakes on the rear and a lot of other stuff I won't cover here. Thing is I need to do what is needed now to get it on the road. Later enhancements come later, so to speak. Otherwise I fear it will take forever to get it rolling. The car has not run for years (probably since the late 80's). I haven't taken a close look yet but the brakes all look like poop. I suspect the pistons are frozen in the calipers. The rotors are quite rusty. I guess what I'm struggling with is do I just replace the front brakes with original single piston calipers & stock rotors or do something like a Wilwood Dynalite 4-piston kit? The Wilwoods will cost about $275 more ($300 vs $575). Forget the multi thousand dollar Baer stuff. Every time I think about something else, I hear a cash register ring :-)

the best wilwood brakes are radial calipers and the large diameter, extra thick discs. you will never need anything better.

Over the winter one of my projects was to rebuild brake set-up.  Rebuilt calipers, replaced rotors and used Porterfield brake pads and rear shoes. Very happy with the braking performance with the upgraded pads, much better than the generic Raybestos pads I used for years.