ksquared

Starting my build - finally

My project is finally starting to move. I got my 69 Mach I in May of 1982 for $3,500. It was a 351w 4v with a 4 speed. The 351W is out (going to be a 408 for my 75 Bronco) and a 428 CJ is going in. Yes it's an actual CJ engine. I guess it will be a 428CJ restomod. At first I was going to do the standard 4bbl Holly thing but I caught some kind of bug and ended up with what you see in the following picture.

Those are Weber 48IDF carbs on a blue thunder manifold. Other parts as follows:
Moly coated TRW forged pistons
Shot peened rods
Moly coated bearings
Chet Herbert CGH2 solid roller cam .050 Int-Exh: 240/240 - .640 lift
Morel roller lifters
Hooker headers
ARP fasteners
Crank scraper
Harland Sharp rockers
Smith Bros. pushrods
Canton 7qt oil pan
FPP oil pump
Survival Motorsports FElony aluminum heads 2.20" intakes
Original Ford dual point distributor
MSD 6AL ignition
Aluminum radiator
CVR Proflo Extreme 55 gpm water pump
ATI damper
Hurst Competition Plus shifter
4 speed top loader

So far my calcs tell me I have the engine weight down from 758lbs to 626lbs. A 129lb savings. My goal is to make the car a very good accellerator and a really good handler. Can't wait to spank some BMW/Porsche/Audi clunkers. I know I won't beat them all but I hope to at least surprise them and maybe even get a little respect (thanks Rodney).

I think I need to make some kind of checklist to get this car done. Otherwise I fear I'll flop around from one thing to another and take forever to get it done. As things now stand, the body and paint are done and the doors and trunk are installed. The glass is in. The seats are upholstered and the door skins are done but the interior is empty. Here is a list I threw together. Kind of a what to do and in which order list just to get it running. Look reasonable to those who have gone before me?

1. Clean trunk
2. Clean interior
3. Fix door windows
4. Install door handles
5. Install door locks
6. Install trunk lock
7. Replace gas tank
8. Replace gas cap
9. Install tail lights
10. Install headliner
11. Install carpet
12. Replace rear shelf
13. Install dash/instruments
14. Install seats
15. Finish interior
16. Install headlights
17. Install grill/bumper/scoop
18. Install engine/trans

mockup.jpg

Wow, I love that engine, I'm guessing you have not fired it up yet, I would think seriously about getting it running before you fit it to the car, check it for leaks, oil pressure etc. Those things are a tight fit and you only want to fit it once, maybe consider getting it tuned on a dyno too, much easier than doing it in the car.

I would install weather strip (door and window), door bumpers and door window felt before adjusting the doors and windows. also trunk weather strip and bumpers before adjusting trunk latch/catch.