Sign in to follow this  
gnatsum

69 Front Tire Clearance

I just installed 14x7 Magnum 500's with 225/70-14 Cooper Cobra Radial G/T tires on my 69 Mach, front and rear.  The suspension is all stock. The inside of the front tires only have about 1/4" to 3/8" clearance to the arm.  Not sure if the tires will rub the arm while driving. Does anyone have any experience with this?  Hopefully that little bit of clearance is enough.  Thoughts? Should I get a set of spacers? Thanks. 

Also,  can anyone tell me why the rear wheels appear to be not centered in the wheel well? The quarters and wheel lips had some amateur bodywork before I bought the car many years ago,  so maybe that isn't helping.  FYI, the wheelbase checks out at an even 108" on both sides. Could it have something to do with the leaf springs and the rusty rear torque boxes?

20190524_201309.jpg

20190524_201248.jpg

I have 215/70R-14 Cooper Cobra Radial GT's on the front of my 69 Coupe & I could almost slip one of my fingers between the end of the UCA & the inside of the front tire, all though it might sit differently once the engine is installed.

Def some funky bodywork on the rear 1/4s. Hook a tape measure at the rear of the door opening and measure to the front of the wheel opening. Mine is 11 5/8” with a front to back wheel opening of ~31 3/4”.

Rear tire/wheelwells - what you see is how they are from the factory. I've always heard that as the leaf spring compresses the axle moves rearward slightly with the flattening of the springs and rearward pivot of the shackle.