ralt962

Brake Distribution warning light

Does anyone have a good bleed process to put the brake distribution warning light back to neutral and turn the light off?  I completely rebuilt the system with all new lines.  Cleaned and refitted the distribution block.  It was working find and able to move back and forth.  I've tried bleeding front first or rear first but don't seem to be able to get the light to go off.

Suggestions on what to try next?  I have a drum drum system.

West Coast Classic Cougar has instructions on how to bleed and turn off  brake switch light on proportioning valve. It's under how to rebuild proportioning valve page on bottom . How to Centralize brake light switch piston position. 

An especially annoying feature but after ' centering ' the piston a few times it's no big deal.  The shop manual describes the process.  I have found it is a two man job.  One person gently stepping on the brake pedal and the other person going from front to rear opening and closing, passenger side, brake cylinder bleed valves.  A ' search ' may have some results ?  Brian

You need the tool for locking the piston in place ,the brake light switch comes out and the centering tool threads in . It locks the piston in place as you bleed the brakes . 

The brass pin in the light switch sometimes sticks in the on position ,you can use a paper clip through the top of the switch and push the pin pack in the off position 

Great suggestions.  I also found the tool at NPD  Thanks Ridge Runner.  I will need to move the piston back in place.  I have the light on steady.

But looks like the tool is a good way to go.

Thank you guys for the help.  Close to finally getting this thing on the street.

11 hours ago, ralt962 said:

Great suggestions.  I also found the tool at NPD  Thanks Ridge Runner.  I will need to move the piston back in place.  I have the light on steady.

But looks like the tool is a good way to go.

Thank you guys for the help.  Close to finally getting this thing on the street.

You use that tool to keep the valve on center and install it before you start bleeding the brakes. I do not think it re-centers a lit brake warning light.

Right ,even if the valve is centered ,the bras pin in the plastic switch can still be stuck . You can have someone push the brake pedal gently with the oposite end bleeder open from the direction the valve piston is in while gently turning the tool and it will drop in when the piston centers ,saves a lot of back and forth bleeding ...brakes and fingers

Thanks, that will make things a bit easier.  Need to go pick up the tool.  Fortunately I live close to an NPD.  

The car is finally ready after a 6 year restoration.  Hope to have it out tomorrow.