wodzu

Oil warrning light 69' Mach 1 351M

Hello

I have just bought an 69' Mach1 with 351M engine. I have an issue. when I start the engine the oil warning light go for 2-3s on and then off when the pressure idle reach middle of the scale (between L and H). Is it something I should be worried about?
that is my first Mustang and don't know what I should think about. Engine runs very smoothly...

70's came with the 351C (Cleveland) unless it was changed out with a 351M (Modified, long stroke). Yes, your oil light should come on once the key is turned on and will stay on until the engine is running and the oil sender registers oil pressure. I am not sure of the exact lower limit that turns the light on/off. Obviously, the engine should produce oil pressure fairly quickly and 1-2 sec should be normal before the light goes off. You should also note that the light does come on every time the engine is started as a test of the oil pressure warning system. 

my is 69' April. I think it is a Windsor. for sure with 4V (290 HP). Is the time normal? I have seen many videos of starting such car but there was not warning light by turning the ignition on - was it disconnected? 

Oops, saw the 351M and just went on like it was a 70 when you said 69. Yes, 69 is the 351w, Ford rated at 290 hp. 

Now I'm losing it, who knows what the 3 lights are under the Tach? One is a brake system warning. Did the deluxe cluster come with an oil pressure gauge and a warning light? I'd think that would take 2 senders. 

Researching now and will respond with results unless someone else can clarify.

One way to be sure is to add an oil pressure gauge. You can add it temporarily until you find out if we are correct.  But it is also my understanding the oil pressure always starts low, so the light will be on.  As the engine runs, a few seconds later, the oil pressure increases to where it should be, and the light goes off. 

Per my wiring diagrams:

Deluxe has a Speedo, Tach, Temp gauge, Fuel gauge. For the lights, it has Oil Pressure Warning lamp, Alt Warning lamp, and Dual Brake Warning lamp. 

Std dash has Speedo, Ammeter, Fuel gauge, Oil Pressure gauge, Temp gauge. Dual Brake Warning lamp only. 

Optional dash mounted were Belts lamp, Park lamp.

As far as I know, all Mach 1's had Deluxe dashes? Neither a deluxe or std cluster has both an Oil Pressure gauge and Oil Pressure Warning lamp.

7 minutes ago, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

Per my wiring diagrams:

Deluxe has a Speedo, Tach, Temp gauge, Fuel gauge. For the lights, it has Oil Pressure Warning lamp, Alt Warning lamp, and Dual Brake Warning lamp. 

Std dash has Speedo, Ammeter, Fuel gauge, Oil Pressure gauge, Temp gauge. Dual Brake Warning lamp only. 

As far as I know, all Mach 1's had Deluxe dashes? Neither a deluxe or std cluster has both an Oil Pressure gauge and Oil Pressure Warning lamp.

I have the standard instruments without tach. Maybe it is just the belt lamp - it is on the right by fuel/temp gauge. But I do not see the option in my Marti report.

BTW - the car was imported 2 weeks ago from USA to Poland where I bought it, but I still do not have it in my garage. I am waiting for the import procedures to be finished. meanwhile I try to prepare myself for eventual problems I have seen. It looks that I was worried for nothing :-)

15 minutes ago, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

Per my wiring diagrams:

Edit/Correction, Deluxe only indicates wood grain dash, the standard is the mat black dash. Both have the option of having the Tach or not. Belts lamp is not in the instrument cluster, but on the dash by the ignition switch.

On 5/19/2019 at 10:51 AM, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

Did the deluxe cluster come with an oil pressure gauge and a warning light?

it had an oil gauge on the right unless it had a tach, in which case the oil gauge was replaced with a fuel gauge and a light was then used for oil pressure.

47 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

Actually, the early 70 351 mustangs had windsors.

Exactly, and why just saying "M" code does not fully describe the engine in the car.

46 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

it had an oil gauge on the right unless it had a tach, in which case the oil gauge was replaced with a fuel gauge and a light was then used for oil pressure.

I no longer have a standard Mach 1. My Shelby does not have the Oil light as they installed a gauge in the center console. Ok, I'm sure the indicator is still there, but it's not used.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:26 PM, wodzu said:

I have the standard instruments without tach. Maybe it is just the belt lamp - it is on the right by fuel/temp gauge. But I do not see the option in my Marti report.

BTW - the car was imported 2 weeks ago from USA to Poland where I bought it, but I still do not have it in my garage. I am waiting for the import procedures to be finished. meanwhile I try to prepare myself for eventual problems I have seen. It looks that I was worried for nothing :-)

Just to be clear, what you thought was an oil pressure light is not that at all.  The standard instruments do not have an oil light.  It has 2 lights by the fuel gauge, one for brakes and one for seat belt.  The seat belt light lights for about 1 second after the car is started. So that is what you were looking at. 

I have a 69 mach 1 351 Windsor m code with deluxe cluster. My tach has 3 idiot lights as part of tach (right below it). Lights are alternator, oil pressure and brake.  Oil pressure light goes on as ignition is turned but then goes off immediately.  I noticed the light flicker a few times when idle is really low around 5 psi. I decided to install a pod on my center console similar to shelby one with a pair of gauges, voltage and oil pressure, because I didn't trust indoor lights.

I also have a separate red round light on lower part of dash (by ignition switch) for seat belt reminder light ( comes on at start and goes off a minute later) and parking brake light indicator.