Spider69

Limited slip differential rebuild

Dear all,

I have a 69 mach one, on which I have started a complete differential rebuild some weeks ago.

New parts and CURRIE axles have been ordered and shipped, axle and carrier housing repeinted, ready to be reassembled.

To finalize the operation around the clutch we need to measure the correct clearence for the shim and here we need a Ford Tool T68P-4946-A I guess as shown in the pic enclosed.

But we don't have this tool!!!! Does someone knows if we can work without this tool is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance for your help

P_20190428_110708_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190428_110601_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190320_161045_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190516_141354_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190508_142333_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190330_183242_vHDR_Auto.jpg

2 hours ago, RPM said:

I'm pretty sure my rear end guy measured that with dial calipers. 

For sure, but we miss the tool, the shim template to measure if  the clearance is correct and which shim we have to use!!

I could find on Internet this drawing, does someone knows it, is this accurate?

P_20190516_161052_vHDR_Auto.jpg

1 hour ago, 1969vert said:

Hi,

Thank you for this detailed information.

I have the enclosed pic I took from my book which describes quite well how we have to reassemble each part.

What do you mean with "a few pops"?

I think I have a standard pack , not a performance one.

P_20190515_134202_vHDR_Auto.jpg

1 hour ago, barnett468 said:

Is that epoxy primer?

In case you don't know this, you will likely have to put some friction modifier in the diff to keep it from intermittently trying to engage the posi in a turn. You can get it from chevy dealers.

Hi,

Not epoxy primer. I used a first primer to avoid rust after having sanded/blasted carefully all the housings.

Special primer coming from a french provider "restom" and then a special coating for the same vendor.

For sure, I will add  "friction modifier", but we have no Chevy  dealer in France :-), unfortunately

1 hour ago, Spider69 said:

Hi,

Thank you for this detailed information.

I have the enclosed pic I took from my book which describes quite well how we have to reassemble each part.

I think I have a standard pack , not a performance one.

P_20190515_134202_vHDR_Auto.jpg

the rear will act like a spool a little when it is tighter...popping in the rear during a turn.. other than that all is normal  ..you will be able to hear it and sometimes feel it..

As far as oils, double check the oil you use.  Many contain friction modifiers and there is no need to add more.  I use Lucus GL-5 rated gear oil in my OEM Ford Traction-Loc without any additional modifiers and it works fine. 

7 hours ago, Spider69 said:

From my previous post:

"...intermittently trying to engage the posi in a turn."

When this happens, it can sometimes make a little noise and the car can feel a little jerkey as it engages and disengages, but this is not a "problem", it is just inherent in the design when they are set up tight or sometimes when they have new clutches.

A locker rear end can sound like someone is literally hitting it hard with a sledge hammer in the turns, lol.

9 hours ago, barnett468 said:

From my previous post:

"...intermittently trying to engage the posi in a turn."

When this happens, it can sometimes make a little noise and the car can feel a little jerkey as it engages and disengages, but this is not a "problem", it is just inherent in the design when they are set up tight or sometimes when they have new clutches.

A locker rear end can sound like someone is literally hitting it hard with a sledge hammer in the turns, lol.

OK, I understand, thanks.

If it happens I will not be anxious :-)

12 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

As far as oils, double check the oil you use.  Many contain friction modifiers and there is no need to add more.  I use Lucus GL-5 rated gear oil in my OEM Ford Traction-Loc without any additional modifiers and it works fine. 

I have ordered Additif Red Line LSD Limited Slip Differential.

On 5/16/2019 at 12:26 PM, barnett468 said:

Is that epoxy primer?

In case you don't know this, you will likely have to put some friction modifier in the diff to keep it from intermittently trying to engage the posi in a turn. You can get it from chevy dealers.

I think Barnett was messing with everyone a little bit, but no one took the bait. He knows full well that Posi-Traction is a Chevy option, so as he said, the friction modifier would have to come from Chevy. Ford's version is Trac Lok, so directly above he finally said to only use Ford oils.

Barnett, do you prefer Trac-Lok, to Eaton's True Trac?

5 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

I think Barnett was messing with everyone a little bit, but no one took the bait. He knows full well that Posi-Traction is a Chevy option, so as he said, the friction modifier would have to come from Chevy. Ford's version is Trac Lok, so directly above he finally said to only use Ford oils.

Barnett, do you prefer Trac-Lok, to Eaton's True Trac?

nope, wasn't messin with anyone...this time, lol. the chevy friction modifier is actually similar enough to the stuff that ford sells, however, where i am, ford does not carry it but chevy does, but when i have a choice, i use the ford stuff.

There is a specification for the amount of torque required to slip the clutches in those track loc units

many people just guess at it and put it together and hold the two halves together with bolts.

then do the torque test.

if too high torque, thinner shims

if too low torque, thicker shims

bob

I know this is an old thread.  Spec on 9" traction loc 100-250lbs/ft ( that is moving torque,  not to get it to break free, which will be a little higher). That's a wide range, depends on weight of car, I set mine at 170 in a 68 mustang.  Go for a higher value for heavier car.