Sign in to follow this  
gnatsum

C6 Trouble Shifting

I have a project car 69 Mach with a 351W from an 87 Bronco, and a C6 from an early 80s van. The shifter goes through the gears fine but it won't change gears. I have never run the engine and transmission combination yet, since this is a new build. The engine starts and idles just fine, however the transmission doesn't even sound like it's shifting into gear. I initially put about 7 quarts of transmission fluid into the transmission, then checked the dipstick which was pretty full. I assume you have to run the engine for a while in order to distribute the fluid into the transmission? I obviously still have at least 3 or 4 quarts of transmission fluid yet to add. I have run the engine for a few minutes here and there, however since I do not have the full exhaust on, I am hesitant to keep running it. I do have long tube headers on so I think it should be fine to run it longer if needed. Can anyone tell me how long I need to run it in order to disperse the transmission fluid enough so that I can add the remaining fluid in? Or are there any other thoughts on this issue?

You should never install a torque convertor dry.  It's doesn't need to be full, but needs to have at least 1 qt. of oil in it.  Aside from that, I think your trans is simply not full enough yet.  They will start acting strange when just 1 qt. low.