Sign in to follow this  
KMD88

Wheel Play – Options?

Hi everyone. First-time poster and brand new Mach 1 owner.

Just got my Mach 1 a couple of months ago (351W automatic) and really loving it. The previous owner(s) kept it in relatively good shape, and I only had to make a few modifications to get it drive-able.

The steering wheel has quite a bit of play in it, and I've read various posts about how to fix the issue. I replaced the Power Steering Control Valve and hoses (they had been leaking; not because of the play), and that helped a little. However, I'm still feeling enough play that I want to nip it in the bud. Short of adjusting the screw at the top of the gearbox, what are my best options to tighten the steering? Does it fall more to replacing/upgrading the steering box and/or the steering column?

Thanks!

So will a bad rag joint. 

Best to get a buddy to turn the wheel while you look at what's moving and not affecting the rest of the system to move while under the car. West Coast Cougars has a great video on exactly this problem and how best to diagnose it. 

Welcome to the forum. Since I'm a guy, I sure would like to look at some pics of your Mach 1. 

This is what I installed to get tighter steering.

776637040_Dragcenterlink.thumb.jpg.12b20ba3385305c9c15e4b09ea18b8f6.jpg

It's a manual steering center link. I'm an overweight, 63 yo out of shape guy with manual brakes and steering on my Mach 1. Who needs power anything on a classic Mustang?

As the guys have said, check all the connector joints in the steering. It usually takes two people, one turning the steering wheel, the other under the car observing and shaking joints for tightness. 

Pics brother, I gots to see some pics. Oh, and which part of the world do you call home? 

Thanks Bob. I live in LA, so not too far from you. Pics attached!

And thanks to everyone else here for the advice. I'll get under the car with a buddy and see if I can diagnose any current issues. 

IMG_0105 2.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

I had this problem with my car that I chased for 5 years.  I replaced a lot of parts, and nothing made  a huge difference.  I suppose that in 1969 that was as good as it got.  People lived with poor steering because they did not know better.   But now I drive other cars with better steering, and I wanted that in my 69.  So I gave up and put in power rack and pinion. One of the best things I ever did for my daily driver.   I used Randall's Rack because that was all that was available 15+ years ago.  Now I understand there are other systems that are better.  The big and only problem with Randalls Rack is the turning radius is large. Other systems are better.  

That is a real nice Mach 1, KMD. I was considering buying one to go with my convertible. someday....

Unfortunately, steering boxes can not be fully rebuilt, and typically are never as good as new when they are "rebuilt", because the worm gears wear and are not available, and when they wear, the steering will still have play, but some people try to reduce this play by over tightening the adjustment. This being said, a steering box that has play in the bearings will have less play after they are replaced.

If one wants to properly rebuild a steering box that has worn gears, they can send the gears out to have then welded and refaced, however, this is a fairly expensive operation, but it shouldn't need to be done again until long after most of us are dead and buried.

Ford's power steering units were poor from the start and got worse with wear.  That is my opinion based mostly on the 66 version.  That said a couple of ' tighteners ' I have used are the adjustment screw at the outboard end of the unit.  The 69 shop manual will have instructions pg.03-07-03/06.   The other is the ' post ' that the pitman arm attach's to.  The tensioning springs at either side of the ball end of the post need to be replaced.  Brian