bigmal

In need of help - Engine noise

Hi guys,

I rebuilt my 351C around 500 miles ago and it has been running great. Specs; .020, 10:1, mild cam, 600 Holley. Nothing spectacular.

The noise sounded initially like a water pump but putting my head near the engine it appeared to be coming from the power steering pump. I bought a second hand pump and put it on and the noise is still there. I have now taken the belt for power steering and water pumps off and the noise is still there. It only makes the noise once the engine has warmed up. Disappears again when cold.

Any ideas where to start? Thinking a rocker near #5 of timing gear but the noise doesn't quite fit that.

I am just about jumping in the air. I recently bypassed the engine driven pump as I fitted an electric pump. I have left the pump hoses off and this is probably what I can hear. No time left this weekend but I can't wait until I get into it next weekend.

Thankyou!

On 5/12/2019 at 3:31 PM, 1969_Mach1 said:

Maybe the fuel pump?  I have heard fuel pumps make that type of noise.  Doesn't sound like valvetrain.  Do you have a mechanics stethoscope?

You nailed it. So grateful I thought I was up for another rebuild. I took the old fuel pump off and blanked the hole. Quiet as a mouse. Thanks.