Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Distributor Cap for stock Motorcraft distributor

Hey guys.  Need a cap for a stock Motorcraft 351W dizzy I found on eBay (replacing my fugly HEI dizzy I originally bought).  Am wondering what folks would recommend.  Between Summit, Napa, O'Reilly, and Autozone, they all seem to stock a different brand and none gets more than 3 stars.  So that's a concern.

I don't know if it's possible, but do they sell an HEI/Male socket type  cap for a stock diz?  It seems like there is a much wider variety of spark plug wires for that setup compared to the "socket style" cap.

To make a long story short, need a cap, rotor, and wires for a stock diz.  Wondering if the HEI style cap is possible for looks.

Thanks!

Scott Drake makes this reproduction that's probably as good as any. Since we all know reproductions are a crap-shoot in this hobby, I keep a spare handy in case of failure. I've got an older repop on my car that's held up well for several years (knock on simulated wood grain)

I don't know if anyone makes a male version, someone else will chime in I'm sure.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

If I can't get Motorcraft ignition parts, I use Standard Motor Products.

I agree.  Also, Standard Motor Products use to have a performance line called Blue Streak.  They have brought some of it back.  I have seen Blue Streak spark plug wires and distributor cap on Summit Racing's website.  For an OEM distributor I'd first try to get Blue Streak.  Other than that, Napa's Echlin line is usually fairly good if you just want to walk into a parts store to get it.

If you are looking for a male cap that fits our Motorcraft distributors Standard Motor Products AL482 will work. It was ment for a Prestolite distributor but fits ours also if you file a small slot that fits the index tab on the distributor. It is marked on the cap. Have been using this for years with the Ford Racing spark plug wires.

I have original nos distributor caps. Borg warner makes decent wires and kevin marty and a couple others have repo wires. Taylor cut to fit wires are also good. I may also have fomoco wires but they tend to be a bit longer than originals.

3 hours ago, barnett468 said:

I have original nos distributor caps. 

I'll buy one of those caps from you Mike. All my contact info is the same.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

I'll buy one of those caps from you Mike. All my contact info is the same.

but you don'y know how many millions i want for them yet, plus, i would then have to go o my storage unit and get all dusty digging them out.