stangman69

1969 Coupe Restomod...long time

I realized I didn't have a project page and I wanted to share my most recent updates.  I'll backfill detail on this 21 year saga later on.

Car started at a 302, 2 barrel, C4 automatic, Grande package coupe and has morphed into a resto-mod.  Car was on the road for a couple months back in late 1998 before I wrecked it power sliding in some gravel (yeah, I know...stupid.  I was 18 at the time, gimme a break.).  I had put long tube headers, turbo mufflers, MSD ignition and a crappy cast iron 4 barrel intake with a rebuilt and probably poorly-tuned Holley on it.  It was fun though.

May 2019:

Every decade or so I spend a pile of money on this project.  This time it's about $2K in shop time and welding to have the MustangsToFear front lower crossmember, TCP subframe system, Opentracker shock tower reinforcement kit and Opentracker export brace reinforcement piece installed.  Shop says it'll be ready today sometime so I'll be hauling it home Saturday morning first thing.

Plan is to get it home, start fitting the serpentine belt system to the motor, finish mounting the radiator, decide on body-side wiring harness, etc.  Once the drivetrain gets dropped back in, I'll need to order new leaf springs and then measure for a driveshaft once ride height is set.

Budget is hosed for a bit so the wiring harness, Modern Driveline hydraulic clutch kit, Flex-a-Form composite leafs, new driveshaft, etc. will all have to wait.

Current list of parts I've accumulated over the years:

• Miere 1 piece export brace
  • TCP subframe connector system
  • Opentracker engine cross member, shock tower bracing, export brace reinforcement plate
  • MustangsToFear lower crossmember
  • StreetOrTrack tubular coilover front suspension
  • Flaming River PS box
  • Fays2 watts link
  • Painless EFI standalone engine harness
  • A9L EEC-IV
  • Aftermarket universal aluminum radiator
  • 331 stroker - low mile used.  Fordstroker-built
  • Tremec 3550
  • 2003 Mach1 17x8 wheels

Planned:

• Moates Quarterhorse chip, laptop tuned.
  • Flex-a-Form composite single-leaf rear springs with rubber bushings
  • Driveshaft - probably aluminum (Explorer, Crown Vic, Fox, SN95...?)
  • New body wiring harness - researching options now.  Leaning AAW.
  • Modern Driveline hydraulic clutch system
  • Possible HCI upgrade on 331...leaning TFS 11R 190 heads, Ed Curtis cam
  • Replacement heater-only heaterbox and electronic controls - keep it simple but revised and updated.  Probably VintageAir.
  • New gauges - leaning Dakota Digital VHX.

I'm forgetting something I'm sure.

Nate

Apex, NC

Last year fall I think?) I brought the old girl home from the frame shop.  Overall the work looks good.  I'm not thrilled with the black paste goop they slathered on the shock towers to seal them.  I'll probably strip that and do any touch up welding and then seal more neatly.  I'm planning on filling some firewall holes anyway and painting the engine bay properly this time around.

During the second half of last year, except for the frame shop work, I had to take a break until we sold the old house - two houses = no car money.

This year, with a little money in the project fund and with all the hoopla over the Wuhan Death Flu and having to stay home, I'm making great progress.

In the last two weeks or so I've ordered in and / or installed fresh ARP bolts for the engine and accessory bracket system, mocked up the intake / headers / distributor / etc on the motor, installed the MDL hydraulic clutch system on the bell housing and pedal / firewall, installed the Vintage Air heater-only heater box (AC is for girls...:)), installed the ZRay lower crossmember, installed the TCP driveshaft loop, roughly laid out the Lokar e-brake handle and remote shifter and sorted all my misc. nuts and bolts and washers and other hardware (related to the Mustang and not).

Wiring is next - Painless engine harness and AAW body harness.  Not really looking forward to that.

Nate

Stangman69 I have a 69 Coupe I am also doing a resatomod to which was originally a 302 2bbl C-4 auto "plain jane" Coupe. I am using the same hydraulic clutch setup as you & I am in the finishing stages of my AAW harness install. If you want to check out my build here is the link to it here. 

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47206-mike65s-69-coupe-build/#comments

23 hours ago, Mike65 said:

Stangman69 I have a 69 Coupe I am also doing a resatomod to which was originally a 302 2bbl C-4 auto "plain jane" Coupe. I am using the same hydraulic clutch setup as you & I am in the finishing stages of my AAW harness install. If you want to check out my build here is the link to it here. 

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47206-mike65s-69-coupe-build/#comments

Thanks @Mike65.  I’m following your progress and will definitely be pestering you and @Vicfreg as I like several things you guys are doing with your own cars.

Nate 

Finished patching the old wiring harness hole and ground it smooth.  I’ll touch it with a little putty and it should be good to go.

It’s not @latoracing level work but for a novice, I’m pleased.

Pretty much done patching random holes in the engine bay and ready for putty and final sanding.

Had 3 of my kids running the wire wheel and sand paper and Brillo pads in the interior and once I go over that lightly again, I’ll be ready to wipe that down and paint.  I’m paying them $1/hr and offered a bonus for quality of work and efficiency. Best shop rate I’ve been able to find.

Ordered my MustangSteve door hinge rebuild kit and brake/clutch pedal bearing kit.  Figured while I had the welder warmed up I’d do those too.  Waiting for those to arrive.

Once I’ve painted the engine bay, inner fenders and interior I’ll get back to putting parts on.

nate

978710B7-7DC7-4FC9-9177-6076F078A334.jpeg

F950D6E1-40EE-4934-B81B-E53B03F69777.jpeg