ThePoose

Four wheel disc brakes and factory proportioning valve

Installing Baer four wheel discs on my factory disc-equipped Mach.  I have the adjustable proportioning valve for the Baers and as I was cleaning up my distribution block, making it look pretty, it dawned on my I probably don't want two proportioning valves.  Since the Baer valve is ahead of the factory valve, it seems that the factory valve would cancel any adjustments.

Question is:  Can I cap off the two ports that route to and from the valve as shown in the picture or gut the factory valve so it's pass through (keeping it there just reduces my chances of losing it should I want it later)?  Or is it fine to leave the factory valve in place as is?  The factory system seems fairly basic, but want to make sure I don't jack anything up.

Thanks.

distblock.jpg

I would call the manufacturer and ask.  If you're trying to replace only the proportioning valve in the factory system, then it seems like it would make sense to take the line on the lower left (which has I think full brake pressure from MC), and send it into the new prop valve (the brass cylinder is the old prop valve) and then go back into the dist block on top, second from left (directly above output to rear brakes).  I suspect the prop valve for the rears on a rear disc system has to step the pressure down even more than the old prop valve (since the disc brakes are much more effective than the old drums).

I'm basically just guessing here though on how to use the Baer system - better to find out from them.

I would definitely NOT lose the original prop valve or gut it.  They can be easily rebuilt, and are rather expensive and hard to find.  Gutting the valve doesn't make sense to me since you will now lose the internals, which is just as bad as losing the whole thing.

Edited by JayEstes
spelling

Thanks.  I was/am going to call Baer, but wanted to check here first since there's so much model-specific knowledge.  Can't do that until Thursday, but I am in a four-day meeting and can pretend I'm answering emails.

I wasn't too worried about gutting because NPD has rebuild kits.  But it's probably best just to remove it from the system.  Put it in a ziploc bag and in the container bin with the rest of the stock parts.